PDA

View Full Version : Beef Heart vs. Beef

Elliots
05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
I am somewhat new to this site. I have read a lot but not everything. The is a large majority of posters who say beef heart is the best food. I do not dispute that. My question is, why beef heart? The heart is a muscle, why not steak which is also a muscle? Is beef heart best because of nutritional value or is it that it is probably cheaper than ground steak(Also known as hamberger.)? If other cuts of beef are as good what beef quality is best? Beef quality depends on the marbling (Fat) in the beef.Prime is the highest quality beef, would I want prime, choice(A lower quality) or possibly a lower grade?

Elliots
05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Addena to my post- I mean a lower grade of beef to get less fat.

TURQ64
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
I fed beefheart for a decade or two, and I'll dispute the statement that it's the 'best' food for Discus...there are many ways to supply a fish with enough nutrition for good growth.

Elliots
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
I fed beefheart for a decade or two, and I'll dispute the statement that it's the 'best' food for Discus...there are many ways to supply a fish with enough nutrition for good growth.

I said the large majority of posters say beefheart. I have no personal opinion on the subject. Of course, you are free to dispute that. What about my questions about beef heart vs. beef in my post?

Skip
05-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I said the large majority of posters say beefheart. I have no personal opinion on the subject. Of course, you are free to dispute that. What about my questions about beef heart vs. beef in my post?

has most amount of protein.. with very little to no fat

VERY lean ground beef is also used..

so... you can actually use both.. not JUST beef heart..
Hans feeds his discus a ground beef mix.. so does nicholson, and he actually cooks his.. :)

Elliots
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks Warlock. I have not yet deceided what I will do. I am just exploring my options. When I was a kid (Early 60's) I had Pirhana and I feed them chop meat. Times change! I also had an undergravel filter then. I understand why that filter would cause problems for Discus.

Eddie
05-03-2012, 10:36 AM
I am somewhat new to this site. I have read a lot but not everything. The is a large majority of posters who say beef heart is the best food. I do not dispute that. My question is, why beef heart? The heart is a muscle, why not steak which is also a muscle? Is beef heart best because of nutritional value or is it that it is probably cheaper than ground steak(Also known as hamberger.)? If other cuts of beef are as good what beef quality is best? Beef quality depends on the marbling (Fat) in the beef.Prime is the highest quality beef, would I want prime, choice(A lower quality) or possibly a lower grade?

Additionally, beefheart is dirt cheap so if you have a fairly large set-up and lots of fish, it'll get you the best bang for your buck. But as mentioned, there are other meats that are used. Personal preference really. I do a seafood mix primarily but occasionally use a seafood/beef mix.

Elliots
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Dear Eddie,
Do you think it would be good to feed my girelfriend to my fish? (Kidding)

Chicago Discus
05-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Ok well what are they can you give some alternatives or a more balanced Diet...............Josie

Eddie
05-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Dear Eddie,
Do you think it would be good to feed my girelfriend to my fish? (Kidding)

Sure....LMAO

Elliots
05-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Eddie, you do not know my girlfriend, I could be serious!

Eddie
05-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Eddie, you do not know my girlfriend, I could be serious!

Hey, I didn't tell you to do it......lol

Elliots
05-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Hey Eddie you didn't tell me not to do it. I always used to tell my girlfriend when she pissed me of that well butchered she would feed me for three weeks.

tannin
05-03-2012, 06:52 PM
has most amount of protein.. with very little to no fat

I wondered how the amount of protein in beefheart actually compares to seafoods like squid and prawn meat, and fish ?

One reference I found (at http://nutritiondata.self.com/) has protein content as -

shrimp 82%
squid 72%
Beefheart 68%
95% lean beef 67%
fish (carp) 60%

Chicago Discus
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I wondered how the amount of protein in beefheart actually compares to seafoods like squid and prawn meat, and fish ?

One reference I found (at http://nutritiondata.self.com/) has protein content as -

shrimp 82%
squid 72%
Beefheart 68%
95% lean beef 67%
fish (carp) 60%
I dont think Carp is good to feed your Discus not that clean. I would try to stay away from freshwater fish..........Josie

tannin
05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes, wasn't even considering it, just was the first one I found.

Pays to look further because - look at this !

Pacific Cod 93% protein !!! http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4045/2

Poco
05-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I would like to share this valuable resource with you. It is from a breeder in Ontario, Canada. I have been to his hatchery and had the pleasure of seen his awesome fish. He is kind enough to share his beef heart seafood mix recipe with everyone on his website. Here is the link.

http://www.archersdiscus.com/discus_food_8.html

I hope this helps!

brianyam
05-04-2012, 10:43 AM
What about salmon? I have been thinking of making a salmon meal mixed with kelp and sprirella poweder. Maybe some shrimp in there. I have read that beef heart is not that good. Allot of protein and nutriends but basically eating yourself a steak every meal of the day.

TURQ64
05-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Ok well what are they can you give some alternatives or a more balanced Diet...............Josie

I've posted this a jillion times here and elsewhere, but briefly..My entire life, problems arose feeding beefheart type mixes when I had to leave someone else in charge in my absence.This, along with water regimen, makes it hard for Discus keeper's to leave their fishrooms, be it work or play related. So, I feed only things a stranger can access, throw in a tank, and clean up successfully afterwards. Approximately 1/3 of my fishroom's diet is freeze dried..Blackworms, and mostly bloodworms, due to the high protein for the buck ratio. another 1/3 is dry products; flakes, pellets, sticks..the remainder is frozen foods, mostly blackworms, with a goodly dose of live terrestrial worms for conditioning.
At the end of the day, I believe my fish to be as big or bigger than many for their respective ages. Colors are great,regardless of specie, be it wild, imported domestic, or even the juiced up ones that remain a popularity. Other than the problems that can arise from new fish introductions to an exsisting population, they seem to stay very healthy and have good immune systems.
One must also remember that in a wild population, a large part of the fishes diets are detritus...

vicdiscus
05-04-2012, 01:33 PM
What I heard discus should avoid to eat salmon meat and trout meat because they make them sick. .. Today I have no idea if any pacific salmons are safe to feed discus...

Poco
05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I have been using beef heart salmon mix for my discus and they are all doing well. If you read the link I shared above, Vern has been using it for many years and didn't have a issues with it. It has to be fresh never frozen wild caught salmon of good quality and for beef heart if you can get your hands on organic ones it is even better without any hormones etc

tannin
05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
But why use beef at all when higher protein is available in more natural foods? I am leaning towards shrimp, because they would eat small crustaceans in the wild, and also fish for the same reasons.

Also, I agree with a post above that someone feeding your fish wants to be able to feed something simple, and also you need something that will go in a feeder. Above all, my fish actually seem to prefer flake!

Eddie
05-05-2012, 02:45 AM
What I heard discus should avoid to eat salmon meat and trout meat because they make them sick. .. Today I have no idea if any pacific salmons are safe to feed discus...

I've used salmon regularly.

vicdiscus
05-05-2012, 02:49 AM
Thank you for sharing with me your info, Then on Sunday I will go to fishing to catch some salmons. I hope I will catch more than 10 lbs salmon meat or get two salmons and mix with beefheart or ground beef . I hope I would have more than 20 lbs beef heart mixed with sea food are good to enough to feed my discus :)

Eddie
05-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Thank you for sharing with me your info, Then on Sunday I will go to fishing to catch some salmons. I hope I will catch more than 10 lbs salmon meat or get two salmons and mix with beefheart or ground beef . I hope I would have more than 20 lbs beef heart mixed with sea food are good to enough to feed my discus :)

It is preferred to use fish from the ocean or sea. Freshwater fish can transfer diseases if used.

vicdiscus
05-05-2012, 01:06 PM
It is preferred to use fish from the ocean or sea. Freshwater fish can transfer diseases if used.

Excatly I agreed with you.. What someone told me about salmon in freshwater can transfer diseases...

Tomorrow early morning I will go to fishing for salmons. The pacific salmons are in ocean :)

shoveltrash
05-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Approximately 1/3 of my fishroom's diet is freeze dried..Blackworms, and mostly bloodworms, due to the high protein for the buck ratioquick question (and thanks for posting this info turq64!)..........do you soak your freeze dried bloodworms? or feed dry?
sorry to go a bit o/t!

wonder what the protein content of ground girlfriend is???? :jester:
(considering ground boyfriend at the mo!!!)

Eddie
05-06-2012, 10:02 AM
wonder what the protein content of ground girlfriend is???? :jester:
(considering ground boyfriend at the mo!!!)

Depends....you can always gut load him/her prior to feeding. LOL

shoveltrash
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Ah! Steak tonight honey.......
LOLOL