PDA

View Full Version : Heckels - what to do?

brianyam
05-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Before I took a break from fish to go work abroad, I pretty much had domestic discus. Coming back into the hobby, I wanted to get into wilds. So I bought a variety of them. I noticed the Heckels I bought are really tough. They get bullied allot by the other discus, don't eat as much and just generally don't look as happy. While the other wilds I have are thriving, eating like pigs and growing allot. What should I do? Should I move out the heckels into their own tank? I feed only dry food, should I feed them food like frozen blood worms? I alread lost two heckels out of 5 the past few months. Thanks.
Brian

nikond70s
05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
i just bought some nhmunda heckels like 3 weeks ago. i been feeding them live blackworms and they eat a LOT and are getting thick. urs are prolly weak and needs to be fatten up to compete with the others. they are wild after all. i would recommend feeding them live food like blackworms to fatten them up first.

brianyam
05-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Cool, thanks. I guess I should take them out and be in their own tank. Feed them worms, seafood mix.

vicdiscus
05-04-2012, 01:40 PM
That is great feedback and help to solves! Thank you for sharing.

nevsfish
05-04-2012, 02:20 PM
hi from my experience in keeping heckels they require much differant water conditions then other wilds .they would do better in a heckel only tank with a low ph around 5 to 6 .also heckels dont handle stress to well so they need there own tank as soon as possible.regards lawrence

zchauvin
05-04-2012, 04:09 PM
i just bought some nhmunda heckels like 3 weeks ago. i been feeding them live blackworms and they eat a LOT and are getting thick. urs are prolly weak and needs to be fatten up to compete with the others. they are wild after all. i would recommend feeding them live food like blackworms to fatten them up first.

I saw sale threads for your fish.... I would give you 600$ right now if I lived by you, beautiful healthy fish.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2