PDA

View Full Version : Advise on changing from gravel to sand.

farzadkavari
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I am having thoughts about changing my current gravel tank to sand because sand is easier to clean and looks nicer.. The tank is very established and has been running for years. Will this disturb/stress my discus much or give them some shock? Is it worth it? I believe i need to take them out and put them in a bucked for few hours until im done with the change. What is the best way of doing this?

nabilbb
05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
few weeks ago I removed my gravel and changed my tank to be BB. I had to take the fish out and put them back after i was done. since that time one of my Discus is not eating and is very thin now. i am not sure if that was the cause or something else

Second Hand Pat
05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
This would be my appoarch, remove the fish into a temporary holding tank with their filter (including bio), heater etc. Drain the tank, remove the gravel and it will be nasty. Siphon out as much of the nasty water is possible and add the sand (suggest rinsing it prior to use). Add back in the decor and fill the tank with aged (if you age your water normally), warm water. Move the fish with filter back to the tank. From this point you might have a mini-cycle (measure your water parameters) so be prepared to do large daily WCs until the cycle is complete. Reason the tank may cycle again is the bio which was removed with the gravel.

farzadkavari
05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
This would be my appoarch, remove the fish into a temporary holding tank with their filter (including bio), heater etc. Drain the tank, remove the gravel and it will be nasty. Siphon out as much of the nasty water is possible and add the sand (suggest rinsing it prior to use). Add back in the decor and fill the tank with aged (if you age your water normally), warm water. Move the fish with filter back to the tank. From this point you might have a mini-cycle (measure your water parameters) so be prepared to do large daily WCs until the cycle is complete. Reason the tank may cycle again is the bio which was removed with the gravel.

Do you know which sand brand is recommended?

Second Hand Pat
05-04-2012, 02:47 PM
I use pool filter sand which can be found at pool supply stores or Home Depot.

Etek
05-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I left my discus in the tank and removed all the gravel to go bb as I was doing a water change. They all just hid from one end to the next as I was removing. They're doing well except they are way more aggressive now. Could just be that all of a sudden they grew up but there's a definite pecking order whereas they used to all just get along.

jimg
05-04-2012, 06:56 PM
you can vacuum it out a little at a time during wc's until it's gone.