PDA

View Full Version : Sump choices.

zchauvin
05-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Im stuck between a which eshopps wet dry system to get. My tank is 75g but I want something with the most capacity possible for filtration. Ive been looking at the specs for their 150, 200, and 300 gallon sumps. Here are some links to the different models:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/eshopps-wd-300cs-wet-dry-filter?]gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c237631&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc 300g

http://petsolutions.amazonwebstore.com/B003OY922G/M/B003OY922G.htm 200g

http://www.discountedpetproducts.net/WET_DRY_COMPLETE_SYSTEM_125_FILTER-P149205.html
Smaller system
There is quite the price jump between the 200g and the 300g models- along with a 4gallon bio ball capacity and 10g water capacity jump as well. Question is, do I even need this big to begin with ( I think it would be better but may be wrong). If I were to choose between the two largest, is a 100$ price difference really worth the extra 10g water.

Biggest concern is I have a mag 9 pump and I had lots of problems with the smaller sump that was given to me and Id rather just run my pump inline that having to tee off and add a ball valve to slow my pump output down.

zchauvin
05-05-2012, 07:03 PM
No one??

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Dalin
05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
i would not use a wet dry setup at all.
For the sump I use a heavy duty 26 gallon plastic tub from the big box hardware about 12 bucks. In that i have 4 jumbo sponge filters running on air
and i have a matala pre filter on the return pump intake this keeps my 150 gal looking great at a fraction of the cost of a wet dry system.

If you want to use bioballs just get a big tub and a small tub that will sit in the big tub drill holes in the small tub and fill it with bioballs.

no matter what filtration you go with just keep up with the water changes. The solution to polution is delution!

zchauvin
05-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Yes I know there are DIY systems and that nothing beats water changes. I have a 29g that I tried to DIY and after siliconing the first glass panel I decided I'd rather spend money than time :)

retiredsailor
05-06-2012, 08:12 AM
you can take a look at my thread regarding making a sump pump. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95452-I-m-Making-2-Sump-tanks....-Please-help-me. you'll see i, at first didn't bother listening (i'm stubborn like that) but in the end i have. its very simple and you just get a tank that will fit your needs. you don't have to go with the materieals i am putting it it, but i will say... one day running through just the sponge filters and my water was crystal clear. 'course there's not fish in there. no sense putting them in a tank with incomplete filtration. the pvc isn't that expensive. my only recommendation is to get a valve that isn't pvc. they can be hard to turn.

retiredsailor
05-06-2012, 08:13 AM
sorry for any grammatical errors... its early and my pain medication has run out. gotta love the VA. i would go into that but it has no bearing on the post.

zchauvin
05-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Well, my tank is already reef ready so I would just be slapping a sump under it. No need for a overflow.

Crockett
05-06-2012, 02:15 PM
When it comes to sumps you may pay a bit more for the Oceanic / Mega flow products but they work really well and in my opinion are worth the extra expense. I have always used an Oceanic sump model 3 on my 175 gallon Oceanic tank, and I am a big fan of this sump. I also use a small submergible filter in the sump that picks up small particles that didn’t get filtered out; this keeps the bottom of the sump spotless without any particles, and helps enhance the polishing of the water. I use a Mag drive12 submergible pump in the sump. The system is super quiet and I would never use anything else. I also plumbed the returns with PVC and used the hose that comes with the sump for the two outlets. I also placed two ball values on returns line to control the flow rate; however I have never needed to dial it back because the Mag drive 12 seems to the perfect pump for the size tank I have.

zchauvin
05-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Now that's the kind of comments I needed lol. Thanks man, what size do you suggest?

Crockett
05-06-2012, 04:16 PM
I have a 175 gallon and the #3 model does a really good job, since you have a 75 gallon you shoud be good with the model #2. Only thing is I am not sure that you can even get Oceanic brand sumps anymore. I could be wrong so maybe do a goggle search. Good luck.

Now that's the kind of comments I needed lol. Thanks man, what size do you suggest?

Dalin
05-06-2012, 04:45 PM
oceanic was bought out by marineland/ top fin and the quality oceanic products are no longer made. hurray for corprate greed!

zchauvin
05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Is eshopps a good choice?

DerekFF
05-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Yes it is, but ive always made my own. They arent hard

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

zchauvin
05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Yes it is, but ive always made my own. They arent hard

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well I had it going good until I got to the set of baffles and found out that the glass people couldn't even read a tape measure. Now I would have to go all the way back into town( I live out in the country) and have them re cut the glass. Then my next biggest thing would be making a drip tray and the cover for it. Already have the entire wet dry area made and siliconed in place.

zchauvin
05-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Ok, I just finished my DIY sump. One question which is think is easily answerable. I have it setup so that the bio balls are floating in water while the water rains down on them from inflow from tank- Im assuming this isn't exactly a "wet/dry" but is this ok? Should I just raise the lower egg crate so that the bioballs stay out of water or is this acceptable?