PDA

View Full Version : who feeds super beefheart flake?

Mep1127
05-05-2012, 11:47 PM
I was wondering who feeds these flakes? I wanted to get a flake thats good for growth and gets discus big. These flakes seem to fit my needs but it seems the sponsor who sells them has different types of beefheart flakes?

I want to know which is better for growth and development and how have your discus grown with this food? How is the reaction when it comes to feeding time? In my tank most eat pellets, all eat blackworms, and everyone eat flakes. I can't imagine the discus wouldnt go for these flakes but I want to know from anyone who feeds them their results with these flakes.

Altum Nut
05-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Mario,

I have been feeding Bill's B/H flake to my juvies along with other foods with great results.
Now it has Andrew Soh's Pro-Growth added to it which is a bonus.
I would recommend it highly as long as you keep up with you water quality for maximum results.
Achieving good discus growth requires both ingredients not just food alone. But I'm sure you already know that.
Someone else my chime in with growth results solely on B/H flake.

...Ralph

dprais1
05-06-2012, 01:01 AM
my discus ignored the bh flakes i got from kens fish. even after feeding them nothing but that for several days they never really took to it. Others have had good luck. probably more appropriate for adults than juvies. just my experience

Eddie
05-06-2012, 01:28 AM
I've used Bill's Super BH flake in the past with great results.

Melissa
05-06-2012, 03:01 AM
+1

It's great :)

Mep1127
05-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Mario,

I have been feeding Bill's B/H flake to my juvies along with other foods with great results.
Now it has Andrew Soh's Pro-Growth added to it which is a bonus.
I would recommend it highly as long as you keep up with you water quality for maximum results.
Achieving good discus growth requires both ingredients not just food alone. But I'm sure you already know that.
Someone else my chime in with growth results solely on B/H flake.

...Ralph

yup of course... i change water everyday ( now aged ) up to 70%. Thanks ralph and everyone. My discus im sure will take to the flakes...they already eat kens super tropical and chicken liver combo, I just wanted to give them an added protein heavy food. Since i feed them 5 times a day I want to take out the meat beefheart and use flake. Flake does well with my discus and since its beefheart should still get them big. After this they'll be eating a completely "dry" course of meals since i was feeding frozen beefheart. With flake nobody is muscled out of a meal compared to pellets and FDBW and FBH... the aggression in my tank is to the point where some dont eat...but flake is a diff story :). I'll see if I get 1/2 lbs then

Orange Crush
05-06-2012, 04:01 AM
I've used Bill's Super BH flake......with great results.
+2

dprais1
05-06-2012, 04:19 AM
if you were closer i'd give you what i have of kens. almost a whole bag each off 'beefheart' 'earthworm' and 'veggie'

Eddie
05-06-2012, 04:31 AM
if you were closer i'd give you what i have of kens. almost a whole bag each off 'beefheart' 'earthworm' and 'veggie'

Something to remember is that you can get your fish to eat ANYTHING if you try hard enough. I've tried tons of different foods that weren't a hit initially but once you take the time to get them trained, they learn to love it.

dprais1
05-06-2012, 05:48 AM
I've just trained them to eat repashy meat pie and i like the fact that it doesn't have wheat, gluten, etc in it. plus I can add other stuff to the product to 'enhance' it. I think finding what works for you and the discus is the key. I just have a few issues to work out with the stuff.

lipadj46
05-06-2012, 06:17 AM
try super beef heart flake your fish will eat it.

dprais1
05-06-2012, 06:45 AM
I looked at bill's I think they would be great for juvies. sounds like there is some real quality in there. he said he won't really have any avail until the end of the month, at least not any fresh.

shoveltrash
05-06-2012, 08:04 AM
I feed Bill's super bh flake - great stuff! all my fish love it.

AngryBird
05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
+1
I feed Bill's super bh flake - great stuff! all my fish love it.

jimg
05-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I feed Bill's super bh flake - great stuff! all my fish love it.+2
I have tried many foods and this is my favorite. colors them nice and definitely shows growth soon after starting them on it. the growth for the younger ones.

PAR23
05-06-2012, 01:16 PM

I wish I was closer to you.....I'm about to place another order with Ken.

PAR23
05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
I've been feeding Bill's super beefheart with pro growth for over a year now and they love it. It took the adults some time to adjust but they did finally accept it. Great product.

Mep1127
05-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Thats a nice gesture :)

Mep1127
05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
is the email address for inland empire still inlandempirediscus@verizon.net? I sent an email and got an email daemon with a weird message

Inland Empire Discus
05-10-2012, 03:01 PM
is the email address for inland empire still inlandempirediscus@verizon.net? I sent an email and got an email daemon with a weird message

That is a very old email address. Current Email address is inlandempirediscus@att.net

Mep1127
05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
That is a very old email address. Current Email address is inlandempirediscus@att.net

okay thanks expect an email from me lol:D

scrappinjaime
05-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Is there a website to look at the food?

PaulD
05-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi guys. Bill won't have any until the end of the month but if you order now and pre-pay you will get a 25% more. I just ordered 1bld last week

PAR23
05-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Is there a website to look at the food?

Go to Bill's sponsorship page. All you need to know info can be found there.

PAR23
05-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi guys. Bill won't have any until the end of the month but if you order now and pre-pay you will get a 25% more. I just ordered 1bld last week

That's good to know, thanks.

nabilbb
05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I got my BH flakes yesterday, when i gave it to my Discus they didn't even try to taste it and still sitting in the tank,

How do i train them to eat it?

Skip
05-15-2012, 01:59 PM
I got my BH flakes yesterday, when i gave it to my Discus they didn't even try to taste it and still sitting in the tank,

just mix it with the foods they like..

it takes awhile.. but don't but too much at first.. they have to be taught.. i have taught mine to eat everything.. frozen, live, flake, pellet, freeze dried.. a few of the foods took awhile .. lol

Moon
05-15-2012, 05:30 PM
There is a big difference between Bill's super beef heart flakes and Ken's BH flakes. Super BH beef heart is the first ingredient. Ken's BH is the 11th ingredient.

Skip
05-15-2012, 05:35 PM
There is a big difference between Bill's super beef heart flakes and Ken's BH flakes. Super BH beef heart is the first ingredient. Ken's BH is the 11th ingredient.

outstanding info.. thanks!

skennedysocal
05-15-2012, 07:12 PM

+1 I feed Bill's flake once per day, as well as Al's FDBW and some frozen bloodworms for variety.

Lenin
05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
That's what I'm feeding my discus, Bills flake and Al's Frozen blackworms, seems to be working.

shoveltrash
05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
That's what I'm feeding my discus, Bills flake and Al's Frozen blackworms, seems to be working.

I feed Bill's flake once per day, as well as Al's FDBW and some frozen bloodworms for variety.
+1!
my Discus' diet consists mainly of Bills BH flakes & Al's fdbw :D - very happy with this!
I too throw in some frozen BW, and occasionally brine shrimp for variety.....

Lenin
05-15-2012, 08:10 PM
I do live brine shrimp about once a week to make sure they don't get constipated

shoveltrash
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
yep - that's my rationale for the shrimp too :)

Joe
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
I just got my order on Friday- Fish love it- excellent service from Bill!

Joe

PAR23
05-16-2012, 09:19 AM

How old are your fish? My adults were resistent to it at first but they eventually came around. Just keep offering it to them.....first meal of the day when they are most hungry.

PAR23
05-16-2012, 09:23 AM
What do you guys do with "crumbs" left towards the bottom of the bag? They are too small to feed and end up all sucked up to the pre filter sponge:mad:

Lenin
05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Since mine are really small that's what they mostly eat, and they pick at the sponge all the time, I do have two sponges and when one gets too dirty I use the other one and rinse the first one out.

PAR23
05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Since mine are really small that's what they mostly eat, and they pick at the sponge all the time, I do have two sponges and when one gets too dirty I use the other one and rinse the first one out.

Thanks.......mine are 4" and bigger and have trouble getting all the small pieces.

Lenin
05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
What do you have at the bottom?

PAR23
05-16-2012, 09:37 AM
What do you have at the bottom?

BB if that's what you are referring to.

Lenin
05-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Yeap, I have sand, even when I had bigger one's I think it's easier for the flake to float when they blow water at it. The flakes tend to stick to the glass

dprais1
05-18-2012, 07:56 AM
on another thread someone said they take all the "crumbs' add a little bit of water and press them into wafers or pellets. person also said the crumbs were great for shrimp, but i don't think most of us have shrimp. so try pellet making.

PAR23
05-21-2012, 10:22 AM
on another thread someone said they take all the "crumbs' add a little bit of water and press them into wafers or pellets. person also said the crumbs were great for shrimp, but i don't think most of us have shrimp. so try pellet making.

Yes I read that also.....have to try that since the micro pieces are accumulating quickly

baeya
05-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Go to Bill's sponsorship page. All you need to know info can be found there.

Hello. I'm finding this thread very informative for a newbie. I would like to order some of Bill's BH flake but, can't find the above mentioned sponsorship page....can anyone place a link? Thank you.

dprais1
05-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Hello. I'm finding this thread very informative for a newbie. I would like to order some of Bill's BH flake but, can't find the above mentioned sponsorship page....can anyone place a link? Thank you.

try this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?79659-Super-Beef-Heart-Flake-Food-info

he is also listed under the 'SPONSOR' section under INland Empire

TNT77
05-26-2012, 03:50 AM
What do you guys do with "crumbs" left towards the bottom of the bag? They are too small to feed and end up all sucked up to the pre filter sponge:mad:
I mix the leftover crumbs with my frozen mixes...or if you have any pairs its great for fry.

Mep1127
05-26-2012, 04:08 AM

Glad this thread got tons of feedback. This is actually something I wonder too... As mentioned before an SD member said they get the scraps and moisten them, place it on wax paper and let it air dry. They become crude pellets. Cories also love the little crumbs.

dprais1
05-26-2012, 05:04 AM
yeah, i let my cories clean up most of the little bits. if you place any flake food, even the nits, in a bit of water and let them soak for 10 min or so they sink very fast-then i have no trouble with them heading straight for my filter

baeya
05-27-2012, 10:46 PM
try this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?79659-Super-Beef-Heart-Flake-Food-info

he is also listed under the 'SPONSOR' section under INland Empire

Thank you so much!!