PDA

View Full Version : What do I do?

nabilbb
05-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi All,

I have 6 discus, 2 BN and 2 Cories in a 70G tank. The water is hard PH around 7.8 I don't mix RO water 2 of my Discus are showing signs of breading since yesterday they were cleaning the heater, I guess they are planning to do it on it. I don't have another tank that is cycled. they are also tritorial they don't allow any other fish to come to that corner where the heater is.

I was not prepared to this coz i was not expecting it. I guess the eags don't have a chance this time!

What do you guys think? and what do i do?

Eddie
05-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Its up to you but if you plan to breed them, I'd have a game plan ready. Get your set-up together and figure how your gonna grow out the babies. All fish are gonna breed, its normal. I suggest you do some reading in the breeding section.

JenTN
05-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Its up to you but if you plan to breed them, I'd have a game plan ready. Get your set-up together and figure how your gonna grow out the babies. All fish are gonna breed, its normal. I suggest you do some reading in the breeding section.

+1 I'm a newbie and have a pair caring for their first spawn. They are in a 29 on their own. It is work but would be much harder without a plan I think. I wanted to make sure I had quality fish that would produce good offspring. Ive had unexpected spawns of other species in my community, and not being setup for breeding, I just let nature take its course. With the exception of one random tetra fry that made it, none were successful.

Trier20
05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Look on Craigslist for a cheap 20high or 29 for them to have their own tank. I just recently bought a proven pair about two weeks ago and still hasn't shown signs of spawning :( so be happy lol

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2rsehf
-Brandon

JenTN
05-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Look on Craigslist for a cheap 20high or 29 for them to have their own tank. I just recently bought a proven pair about two weeks ago and still hasn't shown signs of spawning :( so be happy lol

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2rsehf
-Brandon

Murphys Law lol! When I was waiting for my discus to spawn, my rams spawned in my community tank!

JenTN
05-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Btw move that heater to horizontal before they burn their parts.

nabilbb
05-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Ok, I think they wont make it this time, but i will set up a new tank and here is what i am thinking.... please let me know if i am wrong:
1. buy 25G tank
2. put s sponge filter and air stone
3. let it run for 6 weeks to cycle
4. mix the water 50/50 RO and tab water
5. after 6 weeks move the pair to it

Eddie
05-07-2012, 01:36 PM
1. buy 25G tank 20-29
2. put s sponge filter and air stone put sponge filter in the tank they are in now and let it run for 3 weeks
3. let it run for 6 weeks to cycle see above
4. mix the water 50/50 RO and tab water If you do a RO/tap water mix, make sure you acclimate the fish to the new water if its a lot softer than the water they are in now.
5. after 6 weeks move the pair to it Move them after 3 weeks, when the sponge filter has been established

nabilbb
05-07-2012, 01:41 PM
thanks Eddie,
how about if I already have stablished sponge, can i move them now to the new tank with the stablished sponge?

Eddie
05-07-2012, 02:30 PM
thanks Eddie,
how about if I already have stablished sponge, can i move them now to the new tank with the stablished sponge?

Of course

nabilbb
05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
another question if you don't mind,
if i got 20G does it have to be High or doesn't matter?

JenTN
05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
You might want to order a couple discus books, reading them has really helped me.

nabilbb
05-07-2012, 06:56 PM
You might want to order a couple discus books, reading them has really helped me.

they are spawing, don't have the time
and why don't you give me an answer from your reading if it helped you

TNT77
05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
they are spawing, don't have the time
and why don't you give me an answer from your reading if it helped you
Always have time to read. If you had time to post this thread and wait for replies you had enough time to read through the breeding sections of this forum. Just because they are breeding now doesn't mean you don't have time. Do you have tanks set up for growouts? Do you have proper food for the babies...like bbs? If you are not ready to raise babies then let them stay in the community tank till you have the knowledge and the equipment to do so.
Just because a fish is ready to breed does not mean the owner is ready or perhaps even have the time or equipment to raise the fry at that moment.

nabilbb
05-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Always have time to read. If you had time to post this thread and wait for replies you had enough time to read through the breeding sections of this forum. Just because they are breeding now doesn't mean you don't have time. Do you have tanks set up for growouts? Do you have proper food for the babies...like bbs? If you are not ready to raise babies then let them stay in the community tank till you have the knowledge and the equipment to do so.
Just because a fish is ready to breed does not mean the owner is ready or perhaps even have the time or equipment to raise the fry at that moment.

ok Thanks

JenTN
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Well for example, I am a failure at hatching bbs. But from reading several I figured out they are eating cyclops til I hatch some, and are still doing well with the parents. My pair are in a 29 bb with a sponge filter. There are all kinds of different successes with different factors, that is one of the pleasures of reading. Its nice to have a book to grab without having to wait for someone to answer, but maybe thats just me. I even found some old books by Dr. Axelrod and one by Art Hayley for $1.50 ar my used book store..some pretty good reading.

tonytheboss1
05-08-2012, 01:47 PM
There are all kinds of different successes with different factors, that is one of the pleasures of reading. Its nice to have a book to grab without having to wait for someone to answer, but maybe thats just me. I even found some old books by Dr. Axelrod and one by Art Hayley for $1.50 ar my used book store..some pretty good reading.

:bandana: ++1 Don't misunderstand, the forums are great. There is a wealth of experience & members willing to share but there is much more. When I decided on Discus, I started my research. Before joining this specific forum, I checked others. I found most were sorely lacking. I purchased used books from Amazon ($1.00/$10.00) & collected a small 'reference library' before I ever bought a fish. Bernd Degen, Drs. H.R. & G.S. Axelrod, Dr E. Schmidt-Focke, Jack H. Wattley, Dr. C. Chan & a number of others. The knowledge potential from reading is virtually unlimited. Some things you won't need straight off but all of a sudden something will pop up (spawning) & you've got info, you've got choices. You are now an informed consumer / owner / aquarist. Not just someone w/ some fish in a tank. 'Be Prepared' or 'Get Prepared'!! "T"

nabilbb
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks to All,
Toni, I understand. and thanks for your help. what i don't like is when I ask a question someone telling me Go and read books. if they know the answer they can tell otherwise they can just be quite

JenTN
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks to All,
Toni, I understand. and thanks for your help. what i don't like is when I ask a question someone telling me Go and read books. if they know the answer they can tell otherwise they can just be quite

I wasnt trying to be rude, I was offering a suggestion that helped me, which was to read some good books. I dont appreciate being told to be quiet for that.

nabilbb
05-08-2012, 04:33 PM
I dont appreciate being told to be quiet for that.

I was not trying to be rude, Sorry and thank you

JenTN
05-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I was not trying to be rude, Sorry and thank you

Its okay, it is hard to read tone online.

tonytheboss1
05-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks to All,

:bandana: (TONY!) lol lol I hear ya friend. I'm not here to send you to your room & make you read. lol I just try to encourage diligence in research as it was instilled in me. There is no harm in not knowing so ask away. Hopefully someone travelled that same road before you did & hit that bump too. You can learn a good deal from the success & failure of others. But arming yourself with knowledge thru research will make some of those rough roads a tad bit smoother. "T"

nabilbb
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Ok,
The fish laid the egg today on the heater, but the parents started fighting so hard. and male is just standing infront of the eggs watching, the mother is moving around fighting the other fish and going back to the eggs.
why the parents are fighting?

Eddie
05-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Ok,
The fish laid the egg today on the heater, but the parents started fighting so hard. and male is just standing infront of the eggs watching, the mother is moving around fighting the other fish and going back to the eggs.
why the parents are fighting?

Some pairs fight....one wants more of the responsibility.

nabilbb
05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I thought one of them wants to eat the eggs and the other is trying to protect them!