PDA

View Full Version : Carbon...Who uses it?

xschug3
05-06-2012, 12:14 PM
What's everyone's consensus on carbon for discus? I've heard mixed reviews. I'm not breeding discus, they're in a 125gallon tank simply for display. Water changes are done weekly 30-40%.

I've heard that carbon can harbor bacteria. Should I use it or not? I have 3 large pieces of manzanita wood in the tank and without the carbon the water is very stained, which I don't mind but it's a display tank in an Institute and members and guests would not like the looks of it (even though the discus would).

Wes
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I only use it after starting up a newly resealed tank. I use it for about 2 weeks. From what i have read, change it often. It can leach back, the nasty, what it absorbed after it is used/ filled up.

Eddie
05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Never have never will, like 7-Up

JenTN
05-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Guilty here..old habits die hard I guess. But only in my community tank, not in my breeder.

Chicago Discus
05-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I use it to get rid of meds ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Josie

nabilbb
05-06-2012, 01:13 PM
What's the danger of using it in a breading tank? I guess you are talking about the carbon in the filter!

JenTN
05-06-2012, 01:18 PM
What's the danger of using it in a breading tank? I guess you are talking about the carbon in the filter!

I just have a sponge filter in my breeder...have a HOB in my community.

PAR23
05-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't think you are going to get a concensus on this topic. Some use it and some don't. It may be associated with HITH while others have used activated carbon with no problems. I personally don't use it but know many that do.

DerekFF
05-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Never have never will, like 7-Up

Did you just knock 7 up!? We can't be friends if thats the case!! :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

xschug3
05-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I've been using it for approx 4 weeks now. I think the key with using carbon is that you stay on top of changing it regularly. I will be changing the carbon out with fresh Matrix carbon every 4 weeks.

DiscusDrew
05-06-2012, 02:08 PM
When I did use carbon I was so concerned with it releasing its intakes that I changed it at least every two Weeks, not to mention activated carbon really is only working for an even shorter period than that! Lots of money and no real positive consequence. After a coarse of meds I do a fatty water change and then add carbon for 24 hours then its back out. IMHO it is not necessary, focus on your bio filtration and if all is good then chemical filtration serves little purpose and is expensive over time. Then again i'm doing water changed over 10x as often as you so perhaps the situation may be a little different for that reason? Not really sure but all in all carbon has its purpose but I don't believe it to be a necessity on a normal basis. Use for removal off medication... It may pull tanons but our discus like them so why remove them, I get the same colors from use of peat moss, the fish love it and the green tint to me actually looks more natural which I like.

Eddie
05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
It will never release anything back once its absorbed. This is a common myth that gets brought up every time. It absorbs meds, dyes and smells and once its spent, its just like any other bio media. There just happens to be plenty of other forms of media that are far superior.

Bill63SG
05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Never have never will, like 7-UpWrong,Ed.They now have caffinated 7up.

Eddie
05-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Wrong,Ed.They now have caffinated 7up.

LMAO!!! Shows how much soda I drink!

Bill63SG
05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
LMAO!!! Shows how much soda I drink!Likewise!Mom,wife,son are diabetic.Were all on flavoered water.helper comented on his drink one day,saying he could taste the caffine.I'm just old enough for the "never had it,never will".And who remembers the "Uncola Glasse's.?".

roundfishross
05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
only use it to remove things suspended in the water colum and then remove it. I have personally seen it cause hith( weather anyone else believes me or not) when ran for long periods of time in very soft water.