PDA

View Full Version : Failure to Attach

Second Hand Pat
05-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, the last four spawns have failed to attach. I have had a great hatch rate with no fungus, parents seem bonded to each other and to the spawn. I have seen no indication of the parents eating the wigglers. Once the wigglers go free swimming the wigglers seem to disappear over the course of the day. The wigglers must either be dying or the parents must be eating them. The wigglers seem strong. Ideas?

Chicago Discus
05-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Pat the only that has ever worked for me is foster parents, or just give them time I have some pairs that do the same thing its very frustrating I know.......Josie

nc0gnet0
05-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Have the parents succesfully raised fry before? it sounds like they are getting slowly picked off, otherwise the tank floor would be littered with dead fry.

Rick

Second Hand Pat
05-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes Rick, one spawn.

BoiseDiscusGuy
05-07-2012, 12:10 AM
I have the same issue with a couple of my pairs and had chalked it up to inexperience but it never seemed to get any better. I believe they are getting eaten for whatever reason. Maybe give it some more time or, like josie said, foster parents? I got to the point where I just take the parents out of the equasion all together and artificially raise the fry. I feel in the long run its better anyway as fry arent exposed to potential parasites or disease from the parents.

Brokenrack
05-07-2012, 09:35 AM
You have a lot of dark objects in your tank. The fry may attach to some thing other than the parrents(wood, dark patch of algea, tank frame etc.) get a flash light n see if you can confirm this. You might not be able to in your tank though.

Second Hand Pat
05-07-2012, 10:56 AM
You have a lot of dark objects in your tank. The fry may attach to some thing other than the parrents(wood, dark patch of algea, tank frame etc.) get a flash light n see if you can confirm this. You might not be able to in your tank though.

I did look around with the flashlight and saw no wigglers but I know what you mean. Thing is that I had the third spawn attach with no issues in the same tank and location.

DLock3d
05-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Have you tried lowering the water or sectioning off the tank to give the fry less moving room?

Second Hand Pat
05-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Have you tried lowering the water or sectioning off the tank to give the fry less moving room?

Dan, I would need to move the pair to their own tank to do this. The big tank was sectioned off with foam but hard to lower the water due to the tank being run off a sump.