PDA

View Full Version : Comment upon and ID my new discus

Discusmac
05-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Hey friends. This is Marcel from India.
I had a spare 60 galloner and I decided to populate it with 6 disci, each of a different strain and from a different source. Today, I bought this 2" discus from a local hobbyist. He wasn't able to name its strain as it is a hybrid and he had no info about its parents. He had no overhead light in his tank and I chose the fish using ambient sunlight. The fish is active and has a voracious appetite. However, when I observed it closely, I thought that the eye is out of proportion to the body. It might be just my perception, but I want to know it for a fact as I paid a high price for it.

1 I want your opinion whether this guy is stunted.
2 Can you roughly guess its strain?
3 Give me your frank opinion whether I should keep him.

Your comments are of immense importance to me.
Thank you.
- Marcel Gomes, Goa, India.

Northwoods Discus
05-10-2012, 01:26 PM
The eye is large for his size. That is an indication of stunting. Hard to say on strain.

DiscusDrew
05-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Massive eye, most likely will be stunted, without knowing the parents its hard to guess his strain, he's just too young.

Second Hand Pat
05-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Eye seems quite large to me also. Any idea how old the fish is?

Kal-El
05-10-2012, 04:03 PM
From those pics it looks like they are stunted. They looks like one of my stunted blue Cobalt juvi that I gave away to a family member because it wasn't growing and surprisingly also a bully to the other Juvi.

DiscusDrew
05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Despite the fact that he is already stunted and this happened during a crucial period of his development, you might be surprised how much he matures correctly given perfect care, as in very clean warm water, preferably aged and 50% daily water changes. He may just surprise you...

Discusmac
05-12-2012, 06:55 AM
I finally decided to get the stunted discus replaced from its previous owner. I took a torchlight with me to choose a suitable replacement.
But it turned out that almost all of his discus were either stunted or deformed. His tank was like a CULL-HOME.
But he denied me a refund and I had to chose amongst the existing lot. So I went for a pair of 3/4 inch Pigeon bloods,which he labeled as 'Millennium golds'. One seems ok but the other one has a bilaterally deformed operculum. Well, something is better than nothing. Lets see what these guys grow up into. I have my fingers crossed.

The apparently normal one
The one with the deformed operculi

Thank you.
- Marcel Gomes, Goa, India

Teshi
05-12-2012, 09:45 AM
How big are these fish? How old?

Discusmac
05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi Margaret.
These juvies are about 4 weeks old and size is around 2 - 2.2 cm.

Thank you.
- Marcel Gomes, Goa, India

hedut
05-12-2012, 02:58 PM
fist fish stunt Cobalt and post 7 is stunt pigeon base

vera
05-12-2012, 04:19 PM
fist fish stunt Cobalt and post 7 is stunt pigeon base

+1 , however , the replacement is of a better shape

Discusmac
05-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks Natalie.

Thanks Henry. Are both the fish on post 7 stunted ?

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks Natalie.

The one in the second picture could be. Not sure about the first one. Feed well and change lots of water. At four weeks these guys still have a lot of growing to do.

hedut
05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
YES, both fish are stun.You could see from their eyes size.

Thanks Natalie.

Discusmac
05-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Just like Pat, I thought that the first one appeared to be normal. :( Lets see if I can reverse the stunting by some degree.
The second one is not only deformed and stunted, but also swims in an awkward manner and never eats. He doesn't seem to have a future. His right eye is larger than his left. It would be a miracle if he survives the next couple of weeks.