PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Air Pump question?

Mello
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm contemplating on replacing all my small air pumps and just buy those big metal heavy duty ones. So that I could just use one to power all my tanks. I'm currently running (6) 20 gallons, 1 (10) gallon, (1) 40 gallon and (1) 50 gallon. I want to get some advice on what brand should I buy that worked good for you guys. And how big of an air pump should I get? with all those tanks I listed. It will be helpful if you can let me know where's the best place to get them.
Thanks in advance,
Mello

lipadj46
05-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Alita pumps are nice and the smallest model could probably run all your tanks. Jehmco sells a knockoff that is good too. Kensfish for the alitas.

ZX10R
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
What are you using in each tank air stones, wands, discs?

I bought one of these and even the small one puts out a lot of air but they are loud.
http://www.kensfish.com/ecoplus-commercial-air-pumps.html

Mello
05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Im running sponge filters and some have airstones.

Larry Bugg
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
I use the DAPPH30 http://www.jehmco.com/html/diaphragm_air_pumps.html#DAPPH30 but it may be a little big for your needs. It's rated at 20 to 35 outlets but I push about 45 to 50 with it. Any diaphragm pump is going to be somewhat noisy but some more than others.

lipadj46
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I can't hear my alita running, very quiet

DiscusOnly
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Based on your description, you will be very happy with something like this.

http://www.kensfish.com/product1.html

I switched to this pump a while back and love it.

BTW.. I only hear it running if I am laying on the floor on the first floor (mine run on a shelf by the floor joist in the basement)

Mello
05-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks to all you guys input!

ZX10R
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
I picked mine because I am cheap :D

Larry Bugg
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I can't hear my alita running, very quiet

The alita is a linear isn't it. They are indeed quieter than the diaphragm. Cost more but if it is where quiet is important then certainly worth the difference.

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Mello, how many outlets do you currently have operating? What is your deepest tank?

-Ryan

CrazyAngels
05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
What are you using in each tank air stones, wands, discs?

I bought one of these and even the small one puts out a lot of air but they are loud.
http://www.kensfish.com/ecoplus-commercial-air-pumps.html

Be careful with ecoplus pumps, they heat up and burn the piston up, failure comes very fast and before you know it you'll have tanks contaminated with smoke. I lost a few discus due to this. There are no replacement parts available either, as they are considered throw away pumps. Mine only lasted me no more than 2 months.

I ordered the Alita and have not had any issues with it over a year and it is 10 times more quiet, in fact I don't hear it at night like the other pump.

Mello
05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Mello, how many outlets do you currently have operating? What is your deepest tank?

-Ryan

Im running 11 outlets but would like to add more. My deepest tank will be the 50 gal i think 20" deep

lipadj46
05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
The alita is a linear isn't it. They are indeed quieter than the diaphragm. Cost more but if it is where quiet is important then certainly worth the difference.

The alita is a linear pump with a diaphram. Diephrams are cheap and easy to replace

-Ryan

I have 10 outlets on the smallest alita pump and the deepest would be a brute trash can, so pretty deep.

Mello
05-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Looks like I'm seeing a lot of good things about the ALita pump. Maybe that's the one I should get :)

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-10-2012, 05:51 PM
In general, sponge filters operate with 0.05-0.10CFM of air flow. Air stones will all have specific flow ranges as well (manufacturer should be able to provide recommended flow rate). Just add up all the outlets using the above flow requirements to get the total CFM requirement. Next, look at the deepest operating depth. Open ended airlines (sponge filters) do not add any resistance to the equation, but for typical air diffusers/stones, about 10" of resistance is added (not cumulative). Operating depth of 24" + 10" diffuser resistance = 34" H2O (27.7" H2O per PSI). Now you have both requirements to size a pump (CFM @ " H2O).

Mello: 11 outlets x 0.10CFM = 1.1CFM
20" + 10" diffuser resistance = 30" H2O*

*This does not account for any friction loss in the piping system or tubing, which would be considered minor losses if sized appropriately.

9720 would work for your current needs (just a hair undersized). If you are wanting to expand in the future, you could look at the 9730. If you go with the 9730 (or similar sized pump), be sure to bleed off the excess air to minimize as much backpressure as possible. Backpressure = heat = death to diaphragms.

-Ryan

Darrell Ward
05-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Alita pumps are nice and the smallest model could probably run all your tanks. Jehmco sells a knockoff that is good too. Kensfish for the alitas.

It's the same pump, not a knockoff. I have one. JEHMCO just puts their own logo on it. They do the same thing to the Ranco temp. controllers. Pull off the JEHMCO label on one, and it says "Ranco". Is this legal? I don't know, but they have been doing it for at least 10 years and haven't been forced to change the labeling, so I guess it is.

Mello
05-10-2012, 05:58 PM

*This does not account for any friction loss in the piping system or tubing, which would be considered minor losses if sized appropriately.

9720 would work for your current needs (just a hair undersized). If you are wanting to expand in the future, you could look at the 9730. If you go with the 9730 (or similar sized pump), be sure to bleed off the excess air to minimize as much backpressure as possible. Backpressure = heat = death to diaphragms.

-Ryan[/QUOTE]
Hi Ryan,
Sorry, what brand are you talking about here? Is it still the alita air pump?

lipadj46
05-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Look at jehmcos site and they have pumps that look exactly like alita pumps but cheaper

Chicago Discus
05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I got two from Jehmco very quiet and runs like a champ....http://www.jehmco.com/html/lph80.html

Mello
05-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Here's what I see on Jehmco's website. I don't know which one here are you guys talking about. http://www.jehmco.com/html/central_air_pumps.htmlPlease let me know.
I found one alita on ebay for $104.95 free shipping. You guys think its a good deal?http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALITA-Linear-Air-Pump-AL-6A-6LPM-koi-goldfish-pond-aquarium-hydroponics-/120886696185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c256898f9

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-10-2012, 08:05 PM

-Ryan
Hi Ryan,
Sorry, what brand are you talking about here? Is it still the alita air pump?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, forgot to post link:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1024/Outdoor-Air-Pumps

-Ryan

ZX10R
05-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Be careful with ecoplus pumps, they heat up and burn the piston up, failure comes very fast and before you know it you'll have tanks contaminated with smoke. I lost a few discus due to this. There are no replacement parts available either, as they are considered throw away pumps. Mine only lasted me no more than 2 months.

I ordered the Alita and have not had any issues with it over a year and it is 10 times more quiet, in fact I don't hear it at night like the other pump.

You are right it does run really warm. I have only been running it for a month so this doesn't sound good

fredfry
05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
You are right it does run really warm. I have only been running it for a month so this doesn't sound good

I had a pump that was running pretty warm. What I did is put a heat sink and fan on it from an old computer. Problem solved.

Fred