PDA

View Full Version : stingrays in discus tank

frinklinduds
05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
anyone have any info on if they are compatible, which ones are good for discus, and other info im interseted but would like to know a breeder or something before i make any disicion.... just looking for some insite and thought it would eventually make a cool edition

Skip
05-10-2012, 04:41 PM
make sure they are not illegal in your state.. they are in texas

DerekFF
05-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Yeah theyre illegal in 15ish states i believe. Theres a government website that lists it out

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

nikond70s
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
they are compatible. i seen many people keep rays with discus. both really share similiarities. they both need clean water and good filtration. and u'll need a tank with a large width to keep the rays happy. i would assume any rays are fine. but i believe marboro's are among the easiest to keep especially for beginners.

TURQ64
05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Try the search engine..Those of us who keep them have posted a lot on this topic...They are huge competitors for the food, so adults Discus do o.k...no clue what a marboro is, but Hystrix and smaller rays are more the norm..Motoro's get humongus...

frinklinduds
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
ok my tank is 100 gallons 48Lx18W.... i would prefer something that stays relatively small.

Also i live in new york, which im almost positive they are legal as i have seen a few in some lfs ( not that i would buy a ray from them to begin with) but the one i saw there was a "teacup ray"

anyone know anything about these tea cup stingrays? i would assume they would stay small also if anyone knows any reputable breeders it would be a great help

thanks!

TNT77
05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
ok my tank is 100 gallons 48Lx18W.... i would prefer something that stays relatively small.

Also i live in new york, which im almost positive they are legal as i have seen a few in some lfs ( not that i would buy a ray from them to begin with) but the one i saw there was a "teacup ray"

anyone know anything about these tea cup stingrays? i would assume they would stay small also if anyone knows any reputable breeders it would be a great help

thanks!
18" wide is going to be too small for any adult ray imo. Even "teacups" reticulated rays the females can get a 20" disc. Hystrix is a great starter ray like Turq said but still eventually will need a wider tank.

ZX10R
05-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I read a ray book once and it said a good ray starter tank was a 90 gallon tank. IMO if you pick up a ray around 4"-5" range it will be fine in your tank for awhile. But as it grows some day you will need to upgrade or get rid of it. Like Turq said they will compete for food with your discus and win everytime. When they get up around 10"-12" I wouldn't put them with anything they will be able to take down and try to eat. One thing you have to remember rays are not like discus they are predators. Sure a discus will eat a $2 tetra but you don't want your ray eating a $200 discus. I started of with my 4" rays in a 92 corner tank and the had plenty of room when they reached 6" I went to a 120 and my biggest was 8" when I sold him and even in the 120 he was fine.