PDA

View Full Version : When should I remove Dad from the fry?

Sasha
05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Ok so I know that I have been asking a lot of questions, so let me apologize in advance for asking yet another one. We Newbies are so appreciative of the advice and counsel of those who share our passion for doing the right thing as lovers of discus.

I understand from reading on the Forum that I CAN remove the parents from fry as soon as the fry are readily eating Baby Brine Shrimp and/or bits of blackworms. My question is when SHOULD I remove the parent(s) (either to protect the parental health and/or ensure proper fry weaning)?

Mom has been removed from the tank, and Dad is now left with approx 70 fry in a 37 gallon tank. The fry are now 14 days free swimming (about 5/8-1/2 inch mouth to end of tail) and are eating bbs and are beginning to pick at both frozen and freeze dried blackworms, and even frozen (adult sized) brine shrimp that I'm feeding the Dad. Dad looks great, has been very attentive to the fry, and is just now beginning to act a bit irritated by the fry surrounding him. The fry still feed off of him when they are not otherwise distracted with live Baby Brine Shrimp.

My question: SHOULD I now remove Dad from the tank? Or is it ok (or even beneficial?) to leave him in for a bit longer? I really don't have another place to put Dad right away, unless I put him in a 10 gallon tank all by himself.

Thank you!

nc0gnet0
05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
You could remove Dad anytime now, but myself personally I prefer to keep him in there until the fry become more interested in solid foods and loose interest in BBS.

Sasha
05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
ok - thank you. So maybe another week or so, which would be about 3 weeks of free swimming for the fry. I appreciate your response.