PDA

View Full Version : Flashing?

Teshi
05-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started:
Yesterday morning I noticed my Straited Yellow Cobalt not eating with the others. It is still eating but alone when a worm floats by. But I also noticed it swimming back and forth along the back wall of the tank, spending time on the heater. Today I notice it "flashing" on the heater. I'm not really sure what flashing is but its like it was trying to scratch an itch on the gills.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
Eating alone, "flashing" its head on the heater.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish:
55gal/5mo, 6 fish 4-5in

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
Daily WC of about 80%(always aged water) sometimes 2x/day of 60% (once aged/once tap)

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp: 86.9

- ph: 8.4

- ammonia reading: 0

- nitrite reading: 0

- nitrate reading: <5.0

- well water: no

- municipal water: yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently: I had just put in a piece of DW and noticed this so I took it out. But this was going on yesterday also.

Teshi
05-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Yes I'm the one with the cloudy aging barrel Issue too :(

jimg
05-11-2012, 05:19 PM
lower temp to 82-84. quick cure.

Teshi
05-12-2012, 11:27 PM
How long do I need to use the quick cure?

Second Hand Pat
05-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Margaret, does it say on the package?

Teshi
05-13-2012, 12:04 AM
it just says one gtt/gal but not for how many days. Just put carbon back in in 24hrs. I don't use that

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Yea, wait for Jim or someone who has used it to recommend protocol.

jimg
05-13-2012, 09:46 AM
How long do I need to use the quick cure? I redose every day with big wc for 5 days

Teshi
05-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Okay please instruct. I've done the quickcure for 6 days now and lowered the heat to 84 and the fish are still flashing. What else can I do? I'm doing about 80% WC everyday.

Teshi
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
I've also noticed last night and now this morning at feeding time that where they normally ripped into 2 cube of Al's FDBW that this morning they just nibbled at one and thats it. They are kind of listless and hanging at the top of the tank. They just aren't looking or acting right the last 2 days. Since all the "cone" activity. But they are all doing the flashing now. Yes I've treated the tank with QuickCure for 6 days now. Please help.

Eddie
05-18-2012, 03:24 PM
The QC might be irritating them. Nothing to fret...and probably affecting their diet too. I never feed during QC treatments.