PDA

View Full Version : Another Amateur, with the Discus Bug

Geesh
05-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Topic pretty much says it all. Greetings and Salutations folks, my name is Josh (A.K.A) Geesh! I recently stumbled back into aquaculture, after having grown up with my father maintaining reef aquariums the majority of my childhood! I like any other person, went to the local petshop and purchased a simple 35 gallon FW setup. Got a few fishies, planted some plants, and have made it thrive for the last 4 months! AND THEN........I Discovered the beautiful Discus fish. From here on out, it's all over.

I have legitimately spent 90% of my free time fervently researching, drooling, and just generally being enthralled with the discus and their natural habitats. Having said that, there is one thing that I am beyond grateful for already: Discovering this website. Thank you too the many of you whom have obviously invested a great deal of time educating others. I see many of the posters here with literally 5,000+ posts, all informative and helpful.

I've got the discus desire BAD. I am a self employed businessman with far too much time on my hands. I think keeping a beautiful discus tank in my living room would be a wonderful experience, and I intend to embark on this endeavor properly! I have begun researching diligently, as I see the most common mistake people will make is half-assing their setup, and end up spending more in the long run. I intend to do this right, and make it proper! I may have high hopes, and I'm sure I'll have a few kicks in the face along the way. I will have many questions I'm sure, and I'd be willing to bet the majority of you will have many answers!

Thanks Again to the many contributors here, I have already learned so much from all of you. Thank you, and I hope I can make some new friends here as well! I'm in the Inland Empire of California, and if anyone could suggest a good locale/breeder for Discus it would be much appreciated! I fear buying poor/sick/inferior fish! I have the time, and the budget to devote to maintaining beautiful Discus! All I need now, is to absorb your knowledge!!

/sponge on!

Much Love,
Geesh

moon_knight1971
05-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the forum Greesh and good luck with your 1st discus!

Joey!

Second Hand Pat
05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Hi Josh, welcome to simply and you should check out the sponsors section of the forum. That will give you some ideas on sponsor feedback and strains available. Do you already have a tank setup and cycled?

shoveltrash
05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi & welcome!
You're in Calif? I got my group from Kenny Cheug, in California! Check out his stock in the sponsors section - fantastic fish & great customer satisfaction :)
Good luck!

dpete9
05-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Welcome to SD. Sounds like you've already devoted a lot of time learning, kudos for that! Good luck with the next step, there are a lot of great sponsors on this site lots of great fish to choose from.

Trier20
05-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Welcome and good luck!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nnoweu
-Brandon