PDA

View Full Version : What do you have on the bottom of your discus tanks?

Tobrienne
05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey all!

So since starting my discus hobby.. I've been warned to start out slow in adding things to my tank. Right now, my tank is as naked as a newborn. Except the sponge filter, heater and filter intake.. there other nothing else in my tank except Bonnie and Clyde. I really want to make my tank an eye-catcher.. I was looking at some black sand.. I had white gravel in there at one point (except it wasn't pure white and looked dirty) so I took it out because I didn't like it.

I would like to know what some of you have in your tanks.. even post a picture I'd love to see! I've got a 20 gallon tank with two discus in it. I don't plan on getting anymore fish until I'm comfortable with my tank setup/maintenance of the first one.

So please...... suggest away!!

PAR23
05-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Poop......sorry couldn't help it

Skip
05-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Poop......sorry couldn't help it

+ #2 ;)

all are barebottom

Tobrienne
05-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Hahaha.. love it!

PAR23
05-13-2012, 12:22 PM
all are barebottom

Me too except I have a very thin layer of sand in the 120G display tank and DW

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Is this a breeding tank or display tank?

Tobrienne
05-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Is this a breeding tank or display tank?

Well originally I wanted it to be solely breeding.. but since it is my only tank so far I'm not really worried about the breeding aspect. I would like it to have something in it.. even just sand and a backdrop and a cone will satisfy me.

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
How about a light green background, the cone and a small piece of driftwood. If they stay healthy for a month add a very thin layer of sand. Just enough to cover the bottom and since both your pair appear to be PB (guessing on this as I only keep wilds) keep it white to minimize the peppering.

Tobrienne
05-13-2012, 12:58 PM
How about a light green background, the cone and a small piece of driftwood. If they stay healthy for a month add a very thin layer of sand. Just enough to cover the bottom and since both your pair appear to be PB (guessing on this as I only keep wilds) keep it white to minimize the peppering.

I saw a great picture in the tank display forum that I absolutely loved. It has a rock-looking back ground and a very thin layer of white sand. I think I'd like to go that route and also I do need to get a spawning cone as well.. I'm sure she is due to lay eggs anyday now. I've heard bad things about driftwood :(

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I have the backgrounds in my tanks but if you need to silicone it in you will have to rehome the fish temporarily. Driftwood is a personal choice as well as the cone. You could try the fake driftwood if you like the look.

Tobrienne
05-13-2012, 01:07 PM
I have the backgrounds in my tanks but if you need to silicone it in you will have to rehome the fish temporarily. Driftwood is a personal choice as well as the cone. You could try the fake driftwood if you like the look.

Silicone the background to the inside of the tank? Wow that's awefully permanent lol.. I may want to change it up in the future so I dont mind taping it on the back of the tank lol... Well I'll see what I fancy when I go to Big Als later.. see what I wanna spoil my two with lol

DiscusDrew
05-13-2012, 01:49 PM
You didn't mean more fish for that tank did you?

DiscusDrew
05-13-2012, 01:50 PM
And I stock to BB except for one display tank. Very good for for keeping clean and for grow out... Not to mention cheap

xschug3
05-14-2012, 12:46 AM
I have AquaQuartz PFS in mine and love the look

DiscusDrew
05-14-2012, 01:10 AM
May I ask how that has worked for you, Ive seen a few tanks with it and have really considered it for a show tank as its much more attractive than BB tanks in general. Is it easy to keep clean?

xschug3
05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I love the look of Aquaquartz pfs. The grains are larger in size and heavier, which means you don't have issues using a python to suck up detritus and debris. It doesn't become suspended in the water column either so it never ends up in filters or in your sump.
The waste lays on top of it and not much gets down inside the pfs so it's easy to remove. It's not too fine to cause anaerobic build-up either like your average play sand from Home-Depot will.

Trier20
05-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Heater and a sponge filter.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uzfx1a
-Brandon

DiscusDrew
05-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I love the look of Aquaquartz pfs. The grains are larger in size and heavier, which means you don't have issues using a python to suck up detritus and debris. It doesn't become suspended in the water column either so it never ends up in filters or in your sump.
The waste lays on top of it and not much gets down inside the pfs so it's easy to remove. It's not too fine to cause anaerobic build-up either like your average play sand from Home-Depot will.
Excellent thank you for your input, I'll be sure to give it a shot especially since you feel its as easy to keep clean as a BB tank.

moon_knight1971
05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I use Nature Ocean #2 sand, a piece of driftwood and 3 plastic plants. The sand does not go up my syphon.

Joey!