PDA

View Full Version : TDS monitor vs Conductivity Monitor Legal for discus breeding.

vicdiscus
05-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I was looking for water work for breeding I can not find it, maybe I posted here wrong place.

I need to ask for help and feedback.

I had pinpoint conductivity monitor, I can not find it , I believe someone stolen it.... but I have TDS.

I have three great proven breeding pairs ( leopard, Red Scarlet and Red Checkerboard pigeon) had spawned 7 times the eggs turned white. I believe my water is something wrong.

I had lot of successful spawning from the proven breeding pairs as the leopard, Red Scarlet and Red checkerboard pigeon.

I never use RO.. I always use tap water stright to the breeding tank when I do water change at 50% to 90 % depend on my own judgement.

The stright tap water comes out 6.8 PH 34 TDS.

Fill up water into a breeding tanks.

6.6 PH 58 TDS

I could not find my conductivity monitor

Legal for discus breeding supposed to be 100 TDS.
conductivity Monitor supposed to be 220 - 320 microSiemen

Should I need to buy a new conductivity monitor ?

What is your recommoand I can fix with my breeding water ?

What is your suggestion to me to do?

Thank you for your time and help.

Duncan

vicdiscus
05-13-2012, 01:03 PM
I forget to add to tell that I saw the males run on the eggs, I believe they did ferited on the eggs, I believe that the water is something wrong.

Thank you
Duncan

bornlooser
05-14-2012, 03:28 AM
I have a similar problem..Ph is 7.3...tds is 90 ,very soft water..need some answers too.

vicdiscus
05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
hey I think TDS does not measure for soft water..

Jeff_Hart
05-15-2012, 11:29 PM
My opinion, TDS is fine. For a higher rate of fertility in the eggs the PH could be lower. As far as straight tap water coming out at 34 TDS that would be amazing... PH moving around like that is concerning to me, but typical of almost pure RO waterr, If that's the case you would have to "move a lot of water to somewhat stabilize yor PH.

I really wish I had this water as my "tap" water as you claim

vicdiscus
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Jeff,

Thanks but I would not need the RO water because of my tap water is very soft bec of the TDS and Conducitivity are read very low numbers. I haven't to do water test for GH/ KH so I will get them by today I hope so.

Duncan

Jeff_Hart
05-17-2012, 10:09 PM
I didn't say you needed RO water I was saying "with a TDS of 34 that is typical of RO water".
Good luck!

DerekFF
05-17-2012, 10:20 PM
My opinion, TDS is fine. For a higher rate of fertility in the eggs the PH could be lower. As far as straight tap water coming out at 34 TDS that would be amazing... PH moving around like that is concerning to me
Lower ph has no effect on fertility rates. What do you mean by ph moving around? It went down .2ph which is nothing. Water sounds fine to me. OP are there filters running during spawning?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jeff_Hart
05-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I am having a hard time understanding the language in this thread, so I am out. I was saying that the water coming out of the tap had a PH of 6.8 and drops to 6.6 once it hits the " breeding tanks" to me this is almost pure RO water and is very unstable.

As I have said I am having a hard time understanding the language and obviously you guys breed more Discus than I do with high PH, great job I say as you guys should have tons of babies.

DerekFF
05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
I think you have a misconception of water parameters. There are people who have water like this straight from the tap. The greater seattle/tacoma and into canada has water like this. A ph swing of .2 ph is nothing and to me represent very stable water. Although we dont know the gh/kh of the water which would give us a better idea of its stability, one can still assume its good from the numbers provided.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

nc0gnet0
05-19-2012, 09:39 AM
I would have to agree that PH has very little to do with fertility, while TDS/hardness does. I frequently get near 100% hatch rates in a ph of 7.6-7.8 but my TDS is in the 30-40 range. I am not even sure if harder water has any effect of the fertility of the eggs, but rather the egg casing itself, causing it to calcify and the embryo essentially suffocates and dies.

People also need to realize that the closer you get to a 0 TDS reading the more inacurate a ph reading is. Hypothetically pure distilled water should be neutral, however the indicator solution itself introduces conatminates the sway the reading at that low a level.