PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fellow discus guy/gal in Northern WI area

xxbenjamminxx
05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Hey there everyone. I am new here to the forum but not keeping fish. I am ready to try my hand at some discus I think and was wondering if there was anyone here from my area that has anything for sale, or can at least ship to me for a reasonable rate. Also if your close by and just like to talk fish thats is great too!

I am located in Peshtigo Wisconsin which is about an hour north of Green Bay ( GO PACKERS!! ) and I have found that serious fish hobbyists are fairly hard to come by in my area. So if you are close by chance or close enough to ship overnight without breaking the bank hit me up!

Jason K.
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey there fellow Wisconsinite, the closest to you I know of is Tim in sheboygan, he goes buy 13 discus he has fish for sale right now. if you p.m him or me you can get a phone number to contact him. I have red turq's at the moment and some flachen coming up, but im a bit far from pestigo. other wise I believe snoopdus can ship she's in chicago and am sure will chime in before long....

cjr8420
05-14-2012, 11:17 PM
im chicagoland GO BEARS and dont know where anything there is but theres a fish show in madison in a week or two if that helps anybody
http://madisonaquatichobby.com/auctions/

TURQ64
05-15-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm shipping 'Ram's and 2" Discus by way of Spee-Dee Delivery, or USPS. Both do next day regionally, and are far cheaper than the airlines...

xxbenjamminxx
05-15-2012, 01:42 PM
That may be something I am interested in. If you could let me know what you types of discus you have, along with a few pictures and prices that would be great. Where are you located at? Would like to check into a shipping quote to 54157.

What is the water parameters that you keep your fish in? I have been decided whether or not I need an RO unit but am waiting for my TDS pen to get here to see where exactly I stand before making any purchases.

Sorry I cant PM but didnt want to clutter up others threads with my post just to get to 5.

Thanks in advance, Ben

TURQ64
05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
There are photo's and details here..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94964-Red-Turq-Red-Snakes-from-Stendker-Parents-for-Sale

The young Discus are in hard tap for easy acclimation..TDS@400, Temp's mid-upper 80's...No need for RO, just aged, tap treated for chlorine,etc...I hate to let any go in groups smaller than 6 unless you already have fish this size after a proper qt...shipping is 15.00 USPS, and I'd have to check with Spee-Dee

xxbenjamminxx
05-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Awesome I get paid on thursday and will see if I can swing it then. I was thinking 5 fish but six should be fine too. I'm planning on putting them with some neons and BN plecos. Also have some smaller angels I'm thinking about housing them with. Good to hear no RO is needed and is that shipping quote for overnight delivery?

TURQ64
05-16-2012, 08:15 AM
That's a USPS quote. Spee-Dee is likely higher, but let me know, and I'll call them..

xxbenjamminxx
05-16-2012, 01:33 PM
I think USPS is fine. I will have to check and see if they do Saturday deliver yet or if they stop doing that. When would be able to have them ready by?

TURQ64
05-16-2012, 03:57 PM
I ship on Mondays regardless of location..Once in a while on Tuesday..

TURQ64
05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Hmm, no 'edit' function,so....I'm backpedalling on using USPS on shipping the Discus. I had my first lousy shipment from the post office; don't know if it was poor handling, or the young fish finned the bags, but the result wasn't good..So it's mostly 'Spee-Dee Delivery', although they can take up to three days also to the outer regions of their service....I'll still ship airfreight, but it's costly......Rams are still shipping well....Gary

xxbenjamminxx
05-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Hmm, no 'edit' function,so....I'm backpedalling on using USPS on shipping the Discus. I had my first lousy shipment from the post office; don't know if it was poor handling, or the young fish finned the bags, but the result wasn't good..So it's mostly 'Spee-Dee Delivery', although they can take up to three days also to the outer regions of their service....I'll still ship airfreight, but it's costly......Rams are still shipping well....Gary

So you are no longer shipping the discus with USPS?? If not could you get me a shipping quote for Speedee so I know if I would be able to this this week or not?

xxbenjamminxx
05-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Wow from chicago to me it is only like $7 for Speedee that was for a 17lb box!

TURQ64
05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
I contacted them yesterday with your zip; they coudn't say whether it would be 2nd or possibly 3rd day as for delivery, so I balked for now..48 hrs is do-able for fish with oxygen and a heat pack, but 3 is pushing it.....price was fairly cheap at 20.00..Chicago is considrably closer as a hub. For me, first they come from Aberdeen, 100 mi west, then go back..From there, it's a goodly distance to Peshtigo....For me, it's about live, healthy fish, not a sale..when it all works, it's grand, when it doesn't, well....

xxbenjamminxx
05-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Well if you decide you can ship usps express let me know, I have never had a problem with the express service.

Otherwise if anyone else semi local to Wisconsin has some fry they will ship let me know please..

TURQ64
05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
OK, here's what I know..USPS Express is 2 day,65.00....I sent a priority box to MI and it was 2 days. A rough quote without actual weight to your zip by Priority is 20.00....either way, it's multiple bags with oxygen and a heat pack...

Chicago Discus
05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
your not to far from me and I can ship I'm in Chicago I have several batches that are ready what are you looking for......Josie