PDA

View Full Version : Ready to tear my hair out

starsnwings
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Okkie I have a 55 gal tank my ph straight out of tap is around 9 when I age it is goes does to 7.5 its a pain in the but to age my water. I have been doing 50% once a week. THis is probably crazy but could i do a 10% daily and get away with just adding the water straight (obviously still adding prime) I really dont want to mess with ph down chem. or get an RO because we live in a aprtment. Just trying to what all my options are. If nothing else can work Other though is to get a big holding tank stick it in the basement and pump the water up from the basement my tank just so happend to sit right above where their is a hold in the corner where the cable comes through. Thoughts Ideas really dont want to deal with aging water.

Skip
05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
yes.. just change the water and don't worry about the pH.. pH going up. won't hurt them..

what size fish do you have.>?

starsnwings
05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
4 inches. the ph is going down and i am so confused why does everyone fuse then if they have a jump such a 9 going to 7.5 its bad and it will kill them.

Skip
05-16-2012, 12:03 PM
that drop happens gradually.. its ok..

when people try to drop PH with chemicals it happens fast.. that is bad..

you have 60g tank (ph 7.5).. you pull out 30g.. and add 30g from tap (ph9).. that would average ph to about 8.25.. so ph rising is ok..

Skip
05-16-2012, 12:04 PM
secondly.. relax.. ok..

use KISS method..

starsnwings
05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
what is that Keep It Simple Stupid lol

Skip
05-16-2012, 12:14 PM
what is that Keep It Simple Stupid lol

LOL>.

just take out water.. add water.. done :)

starsnwings
05-16-2012, 12:45 PM
well thank you for two things 1 st now i feel stupied that i worked my butt off for the last year for no reason 2 for giving me a happy fish caring outlook. I just did a twenty five percent change just now tested the ph when i was done and it was 7.6 !!!! I feel kind of stupied but happy.

Trier20
05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
If ur like me you tend to over analyse everything. I took me a while to calm down. Glad to hear ur tank is better

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pk25w2
-Brandon

Skip
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
well thank you for two things 1 st now i feel stupied that i worked my butt off for the last year for no reason 2 for giving me a happy fish caring outlook. I just did a twenty five percent change just now tested the ph when i was done and it was 7.6 !!!! I feel kind of stupied but happy.

hey, we all are.. when we start out.. with experience.. you learn no to sweat somethings.. esp. when you see products that want to tell you different.. so you can buy them.. LOL

starsnwings
05-16-2012, 01:12 PM
well we are on this subject should i age my water though for 50% changes on 20 gal QT tank because it is so small??

Skip
05-16-2012, 01:13 PM
um.. if you can.. sure..

i go straight from tap into tank.. have never aged

DiscusKev
05-16-2012, 07:17 PM
um.. if you can.. sure..

Same here.

Wjmulder
05-16-2012, 07:22 PM
um.. if you can.. sure..

Me too

bonginator
06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Those of you that go directly from tap to tank, what is the temp difference between your tank and the tap water and what pct change do you typically do? Just curious.

Skip
06-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Those of you that go directly from tap to tank, what is the temp difference between your tank and the tap water and what pct change do you typically do? Just curious.

i don't measure temp.. kind of just feel it out of the hose.. make sure its not super hot..

the water in the tank will keep temp from moving too much either cold or hot..

mgfloors2000
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
If you're worried about the ph, why not just buy API's Proper ph 6.5, & add 1/2 scoop to your 5 gallon bucket. . . . it's immediately ready. . . no "aging" necessary. You can also add 1 ml of Prime. This bucket will allow you to "top off" &/or to partial change whenever you feel like it.

aalbina
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
[[Adam is waiting patiently for Skip's response to this....and is wearing safety glasses...]];)

If you're worried about the ph, why not just buy API's Proper ph 6.5, & add 1/2 scoop to your 5 gallon bucket. . . . it's immediately ready. . . no "aging" necessary. You can also add 1 ml of Prime. This bucket will allow you to "top off" &/or to partial change whenever you feel like it.

Lenin
06-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Changing ph with chemicals, that's what you do not want to do

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2

Skip
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
[[Adam is waiting patiently for Skip's response to this....and is wearing safety glasses...]];)
i was out to lunch...

mmm.. NOT>.

you don''t mess with chemicals that change water chemistry.. the discus are fine in good clean water.. Discus VETS don't measure much of anything with it comes to water.. maybe ammonia, nit/nitrat.. stuff..

CONSISTENCY of WATER IS THE KEY!!!!!!! NO MORE.. NO LESS ..
thats what discus require.. not fancy liquids ..