PDA

View Full Version : Egg Eater Discus

nabilbb
05-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi Every one,

This is the 2nd time my pair got eggs on the heater, last week the male ate all the eggs, and now He is eating them slowly

What do you think?

Larry Bugg
05-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Breeding requires a lot of patience. With some pairs it may tank many, many tries before they get it right. Do you have to heater in the tank horizantal or verticle?

nabilbb
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Vertical. But now I got the breeding cone. lets see where will they do it next week.

So you mean to say, they don't know these are thiere babies that's why they eat it?

Larry Bugg
05-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Most breeders place the heaters horizantal. We don't want to take the chance of them laying eggs on the heater while it is on. It has happened. I would turn it.

It isn't a matter of them knowing they are their babies. It is a learning experience for them. They are learning to be parents. For some pairs they get it right the first try, for others it may take many more tries but usually after several spawns they figure out what they are doing. Have you had wigglers from the pair. If not then you don't know they are proven, could be two females. If the eggs aren't fertile they will eat them. If it is a very small clutch of eggs they will quite often eat them. If they get spooked or scared they may eat them. It is just simply a process and they have to learn by experience.

nabilbb
05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
No I there was no wigglers because the water was hard for the first time before I mix it with RO water. but i saw the female laying eggs then the male goes and fertlize them they take turns. the first time the eggs had fungused and now yesterday the had eggs but the male started to eat them today slowly.