PDA

View Full Version : Peace Lily's Under Water

Elyse
05-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I didn't know peace lilys can grow under water!? Or can they...?

I pulled some shooters from my large peace lily and stuck their roots in the top of my aquarium and filter, so that they could establish good roots. I realized later that one lily had fallen and was completely under water for a few days! It had not only survived; it had repositioned itself toward the light, after being upsidedown!

I haven't done any research on this yet; does anyone have thoughts about peace lily's as aquarium plants? Is it possible?
My thought's are; anubias's arn't true aquatic plants, could peace lily's be treated the same?....

Peace,
Elyse

LizStreithorst
05-17-2012, 11:49 PM
I know that peace lilys like wet feet. I don't think that they can live in an aquarium. They're not an aquatic plant. If I'm wrong I'll take pieces from mine and stick them in all my tanks. Please let me know how it works out.

Chicago Discus
05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
thats interesting I wonder myself how this will work let me know guys ......Josie

Altum Nut
05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Elyse,

From what I have heard in the past...they were never meant to be submerged aquatic plants. They do well in terrariums with most foliage above water line and just roots in water. People I know have tried but the flowers wilted away and the over-all plant did not do well in the end.
Experiment with the shooter and see what happens.

...Ralph

secuono
05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Eventually, the water will drown the plant. Most non-aquatic plants can survive a few days, but then wilt.

lipadj46
05-18-2012, 01:57 PM
the will rot when submerged, grow great emersed

Elyse
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Ya, thanks guy's, I knew it would have been too good to be true. Some sites say they grow well submerged and call them "Brazilian Sword Plants" but there's more on the internet saying that they will eventually die... too bad; I have a lot of peace lily shoots I could've put in my tank =)