PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead

Eti
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi everyone,

So I upgraded to a eheim 2215 canister filter for my 55G tank. I really like it although I feel the flow is not that great.
Would you recommend to keep it the way it is or should I put a powerhead? I just don’t want want to get another cansiter filter..
Also, if you would recommend a brand and model for a powerhead, that would be appreciated. Also, I will start injecting CO2 today (yay!), the powerhead is not gonna gass off the CO@?
Thanks for your answers guys!

Wahter
05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Most of the canister filter's aren't really designed to move a lot of water, but provide a ton of media, so if you want more circulation, adding a powerhead will fit the bill.

If you plug up the powerhead's venturi and set it beneath the water's surface, then you won't have to worry about outgassing CO2.

I've used both the Marineland and Hagen brand powerheads; I think it's a bit easier to start the Hagens.

HTH,

Walter

walt3
05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
i run a 2217 on my 75 gallon and also run a powerhead just below the surface to move more water across the tank. with the placement of wood and such alot of current from the 2217 gets stopped so the power head has been a nice addition. still nice and calm for the fish. just need to experiment with placement. have fun.

Eti
05-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks a lot guys, i will check on Amazon for a powerhead.