PDA

View Full Version : Bristle nose cat fish help needed

krislewis3
05-18-2012, 05:35 PM
I just bought my third bristle nose cat fish....the first two died within two weeks of caring for them. I need advise...they must have plenty of food from what I feed my discus, and I add algea wafers. There is manzanita wood in the tank for them to suck on ad well. Is there something important that I missed in my research? HELP!!!!

Stuewart
05-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Whats the temperature of your tank?

krislewis3
05-18-2012, 06:51 PM
84 to 86 degrees in my discus tank where the first one died. The second died in my quarantine tank which right at 80. I do notice that the glass thermometers give a higher reading then the strips. I use both, but am not sure which is accurate. What do you think?

Stuewart
05-18-2012, 08:27 PM
I think the tempurature might be too high for bristle noses. Im not completely sure because Ive never had one but I was going to get one with my juvies, but I read that discus temps are too high for them. Im at 86 right now. I thiiiink (someone correct me if Im wrong) that BNs max temp is around 82

chrisb01
05-18-2012, 09:05 PM
I breed BNs. Yes, the temp might be a big factor. I keep mine at 76 -78. If I go as high as 80, they won't breed.
To breed them, I drop the temp to around 74 - 75.

I don't think they'll live long in ideal Discus temp. There are some Cories that can live in such high temps, but not all.

krislewis3
05-19-2012, 06:35 AM
Really.....wow.!!!!..the reason I chose a bristle nose cat fish is because I read that they are perfect mates for a discus aquarium!!I have 10 cardinals, 3 cory cats, and 2 Bolivian rams. Would blue rams handle the high temps? If not, what would you suggest to complete my discus aquarium???
Oh yea....how do you guys measure your temps. I find that the strips show a higher temp reading then the glass thermometer. Which one should I believe???

lipadj46
05-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Not all ancistrus are the same but many come from the same locations as discus and can handle high temps. I have 6 L213 (http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1513) and they do great in my discus tank. I've had them in there for nearly a year (since they were 1") and they do fine. If you can afford L183 they also do well but are pricey.

krislewis3
05-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Thank you for that link....I did look up the L213, but noticed that it called for temps. Only up to 80 degrees. Is this the one you have? If so, what temp do you keep him in? Also, where do you buy them? I didn't see anywhere on that web site that I could purchase. One more question.....how do you measure your aquarium temp? The strips show a much higher temp then the glass thermometers and I don't know which one to trust!!!!

flexo248
05-19-2012, 01:06 PM
i had the same issue and i stopped getting the bristle nose. the other guys were right about the temperature. the bristle nose like cooler temp. i had my tank at 86 all the time so the BN die in about a week...... the larger ones do least longer....... if you really want to have it get a bigger and with some luck it might live.
hope this help

chrisb01
05-19-2012, 01:42 PM
One more question.....how do you measure your aquarium temp? The strips show a much higher temp then the glass thermometers and I don't know which one to trust!!!!

I don't like the strips, I get the feeling that they measuring the room temp instead of the tank.
I use the old school glass thermometer with the suction cup stuck to the inside of the tank.

krislewis3
05-19-2012, 02:07 PM
I agree

krislewis3
05-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Yes, yournexperience is great help and, I thank you.......kris

nabilbb
05-19-2012, 06:25 PM
I had the same problem with BN I lost maybe 8 of them then when i got the bigger ones they still live for about 6 months now.
They are great cleaners

krislewis3
05-20-2012, 07:22 AM
To Chirs Baez, If you read all the the responses to my initial question, there are alot of folks here that have had problems with their bristle nose cats, and would benefit from your hands on knowlege. Perhaps you can give us some basic information based on your experiences with them. Please.......