PDA

View Full Version : Questions on strains

dprais1
05-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Couple quick q's on strains...

Blue diamonds....all pretty much the same or is the "deep blue gene" really something that matters

Platinum....is this a luekistic type discus (solid white, no striations, black pupil)? if not please describe, very hard to get a clear understanding from pics.

What about the 'snow whites'?

thanks in advance

dprais1
05-19-2012, 06:54 AM
okay i'll answer my own post....i understand that the solid white fish without striations and black pupil is snow white.

still unsure about platinum and then there is BD platinum??

cjr8420
05-19-2012, 12:04 PM
okay i'll answer my own post....i understand that the solid white fish without striations and black pupil is snow white.

still unsure about platinum and then there is BD platinum??
blue diamonds,ocean green ,saphires,platinums are all different varieties of the same fish. solid, no striations and no stress bars only difference is the shade of blue and prices.high demand gets higher price and plats seem to be whats in demand right now

dprais1
05-19-2012, 05:03 PM
If you've seen them can you describe what they look like. I always got the impression that ocean grean was just another name for flachen. blue diamond was just blue. platinum was all white with maybe a very faded (almost white) coloration on the finnage.

DiscusKev
05-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Couple quick q's on strains...

Blue diamonds....all pretty much the same or is the "deep blue gene" really something that matters

Platinum....is this a luekistic type discus (solid white, no striations, black pupil)? if not please describe, very hard to get a clear understanding from pics.

What about the 'snow whites'?

thanks in advance

From my understanding...

Good quality Blue Diamonds are blue (strong sea blue colour, however this colour is different when comparing an Asian Blue Diamond with a German Blue diamond, perhaps others too) with red eyes, has no stress bar. Most fish that fits into this category are basically blue diamonds, but for differentiation purposes in quality they have different names.

-----------------------------

These 2 videos are Albino Platinum (the video that is titled "White Albino Discus", is In My Opinion [IMO] Albino Platinum. Just different trade name)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0d0aaW2H2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Jz25Rysb8

Basically, Platinum (from what I know and aware of, are Albino Blue Diamonds). They have this white sheen with light shades of blue colour on their body and like albinos, have red eyes/iris (the entire eye, not just the outline). I have yet, on this forum (because I have been busy and haven't kept up to date) seen a Platinum with black eyes...

----------------------

Finally, Snow whites are PURE white fish (peachy/yellowy white), white eyes but black eyeball. Have a search and you will find out.

Mep1127
05-19-2012, 11:25 PM
I have both a blue diamond and albino platinum in my tank. Discuskev basically hits all the points with BD and AP discus. One thing I dont think the users above me mentioned is the blue diamond and albino platinum tend to have higher finnage then other discus. Since they are essentially both blue diamonds for whatever reason blue diamonds have higher finnage... at least that i've seen in my tank.

cjr8420
05-19-2012, 11:37 PM
If you've seen them can you describe what they look like. I always got the impression that ocean grean was just another name for flachen. blue diamond was just blue. platinum was all white with maybe a very faded (almost white) coloration on the finnage. all i listed are the same just different shades of blue and once again they are Solid, No Striations and No Stress bars .flachens are not solid until adults and have stress bars look back throug kenny monthly shippments to see pics.ur local if u look at exotic discus website he has some non albino plats or so he says but u can see pics there and check the stendker site they have pics of there fish at different ages so u can see how a flachen will change from pattern to more solid.

dprais1
05-20-2012, 12:17 AM
thanks everyone....sometimes pics just don't tell the whole story. to me at least a lot of the similiarly colored fish look really similiar. of course it is the differences that really make em stand out.

DiscusKev
05-20-2012, 12:35 AM
I have both a blue diamond and albino platinum in my tank. Discuskev basically hits all the points with BD and AP discus. One thing I dont think the users above me mentioned is the blue diamond and albino platinum tend to have higher finnage then other discus. Since they are essentially both blue diamonds for whatever reason blue diamonds have higher finnage... at least that i've seen in my tank.

This ultimately depends on the genes. If the parents possess high finnage, then it will pass on this trait towards the offspring. If you do a search, you will find other strains to have SUPER abnormal fins. Of course, some may see this as undesirable, but the point I am getting at is that it depends on the genes.

Mep1127
05-20-2012, 05:08 PM
This ultimately depends on the genes. If the parents possess high finnage, then it will pass on this trait towards the offspring. If you do a search, you will find other strains to have SUPER abnormal fins. Of course, some may see this as undesirable, but the point I am getting at is that it depends on the genes.

Agreed. however both of those discus were sold to me as regulars... nothing out of the norm. Perhaps they were offspring of high finned discus. Beats me, thats just what I noticed in my tank.