PDA

View Full Version : What are my options with a 75G tank?

rocklobster
05-20-2012, 07:12 PM
I already have a 75G bare-bottom tank that's completely cycled, and I was wondering what kind of options I have. I would ideally like to buy juvi Discus and grow them out, but I've been reading how you need to do 30% daily water changes, and I'm not home enough to do that, so I think it may be a better idea for me to buy adults. Here are my tank specs:

----------------------
75 Gallon
1x AC110
1X Eheim 2217 Filter
1x 250W Heater
---------------------

It'll be real cool if I had a group of Discus, but I don't mind having a pair to experience breeding as well. But my tap water's pH is 7.6, and I don't have a RO system at this time to help reduce the pH. On a side note, if the discus do lay eggs in the 75G tank, would it be possible to remove the eggs and put them in another tank grow them out there? Or do the babies need to be with the parents until a certain age?

Bill63SG
05-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Just to give it a kick,but where have you been reading about 30% daily wc's?For juvie's,we're doing 75%+ and some do twice a day.I know thats how we get the rep as nuts,but 30% isn't enough,so congrats on recognizing that,and realizing you dont have the time.You could easily do 6-8 adults,but you still need to do the wc's.Maybe not every day,but every other,at least three times a week.At least 50%.If your looking for once a week or less,maybe discus arn't for you.

Bill63SG
05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
P.S.,your filtration is fine,just remeber to clean it also once a week.Alternate between the two.I guess that would then be every two weeks.

3dees
05-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I am by no means an expert on discus and will probably get torcher for this but I think some of us can go a little overboard with these fish which is why I think many people won't even try keeping them. I never had juvies and agree that it's much more work to grow them out. I bought 8 4" wilds two years ago. started with three 50% wc's per week for the first year. cut it to two 70% per week for about six months. I now do one 70% per week with tap water and prime. my fish are doing great. I have never had to medicate them for anything. I don't have plants as it's a biotope with lots of wood and sand. it's a 120 gal. with two cannisters. I clean my filters about once every four months. I'm not saying this is the right way and my tank is for show only. no plans to breed. maybe I'm just really lucky, but it's working for me.

DiscusBR
05-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I am by no means an expert on discus and will probably get torcher for this but I think some of us can go a little overboard with these fish which is why I think many people won't even try keeping them. I never had juvies and agree that it's much more work to grow them out. I bought 8 4" wilds two years ago. started with three 50% wc's per week for the first year. cut it to two 70% per week for about six months. I now do one 70% per week with tap water and prime. my fish are doing great. I have never had to medicate them for anything. I don't have plants as it's a biotope with lots of wood and sand. it's a 120 gal. with two cannisters. I clean my filters about once every four months. I'm not saying this is the right way and my tank is for show only. no plans to breed. maybe I'm just really lucky, but it's working for me.

+1

I have a 80g with 7 adult wild discus and I do two 50% WCs per week. I also clean my canister once every four months. There is absolutely no need to clean a canister filter every week, especially if you put a pre-filter in the intake of your filter.

rocklobster: You setup looks great. Buy adult discus and you will be fine. Leave the breeding for later, once you get more experience. If you put 6 adult discus (preferably from the same strain) in your 75g and you treat them well, sooner or later a pair will form. You can then think about putting a divider in the 75g or purchasing a breeding tank.

rocklobster
05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Cool thanks!

What sizes are considered "adults"? And if I were to purchase six adults, would it be a good idea to put a cone in there? Does that somehow make them feel more comfortable to breed in any way? And how are Discus' with HOB filters, because my AC110 does break the surface a lot :]

Poco
05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I use AC110 and my discus are fine with it. I'll suggest to use prefilter on the intake for both filters this will stop debrie entering your filter. 4" are young adults and might work for your setup. If you are thinking of breeding down the road dont go with wilds as they are a bit more difficult to spawn. You can check the breeding section for more tips.

I hope this helps.