PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle - need help

Cameronv
05-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I started my fishes cycle a little over a week ago - 110gal. I've been using startsmart beneficial bacteria and pure aquarium balls (from bill) to shorten the cycle. In the beginning I'd add a cap full of clear non foaming ammonia about every other day. Reading of 3 ppm then ammonia started going down so I started adding everyday. Once in 3 days I'd skip a day. Now I cant get nitrates and nitrites down at all. Its been 3-4 days since I've added anything and they wont move. Nitrates are at 80 ppm, ammonia at 0.

ktm4us6
05-20-2012, 10:02 PM
keep adding the Ammonia, nitrite takes a little longer sometimes. What is the nitrate of you tap water?

Cameronv
05-21-2012, 12:03 AM
That I'm not sure of. I'll add some more ammonia.

DiscusDrew
05-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Wait what? What are your NITRITES reading, if you have a NITRATE reading of 80 then you must have bacteria converting the nitrite to nitrate....

DiscusDrew
05-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Your nitrates don't matter, you just need to wait and keep using bacteria until the nitrites go down, that's your only concern and yes it takes longer. Nitrates will only be removed by water changes when you start doing them, I cycle my aquariums then do 100 percent water change to eliminate the cycle water and nitrates. For now you just need to focus on NITRITES and once your levels go to zero even after adding ammonia you know it isc ycled. Don't forget that your bacteria that is converting the ammonia still needs to be fed or the bacteria will die. So keep feeding the ammonia until levels balance to zero, that is the simplicity of it.

Cameronv
05-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Cool thanks for the help. Nitrites have been going down gradually, was just curious about the fixed nitrate reading. Nitrite from 4 to about 2.5 in the last day.

Teshi
05-21-2012, 06:41 AM
I know when I did my cycle the nitrItes stayed high for forever it seemed. So I did a 50% water change and within 3-4 days NitrItes spiked and then dropped.