PDA

View Full Version : PH of 1.2 Whoa

MostlyDiscus
05-21-2012, 06:10 PM
So I am cleaning the algea from my tank glass and somehow hit the strip light that knocked my ph probe off line to my ph controller so that the meter reads 6.7 and empties out my entire jar of acid into my system and then I wonder what the F......(fudge) is going on with my discus. I look at the PH and think I need to keep my PH under 6.5 or so and in turn add more acid. UT OH Houston we have lift off. Just moving near the poor things set them to jumping clear out of the water. The plecos were going above the water line and hanging on for dear life yelling we having fun yet?After a few minutes it dawns on me that the pickle jar was empty and I had just filled it the night before. I grabbed the extra PH probe from the Breeder system and plopped it into the growout sump, OH MAN 1.2 PH???? MEDIC, clean up in isle 12. At that point all I could think was there goes any chance of bringing fish to the show(although I think Rick/Magneto has bred awesome discus) and competing on some level with my fellow discus lovers. I quickly grabbed handfulls of baking power and tossed them in the tanks and the sump to rasie the PH before the gill and fin burn set in. Up ok down bad. BTW anyone have little saying they use to remember that? PH up your in luck, ph low your fish will go?? I saved all the fish believe it or not. My water is foggy due to the fact that I crushed my bio system. I fixed my controller and PH at 6.2, all good. Not one dead fish. Not even stressed. I posted this for one reason. Discus are hearty fish and can take almost anything you throw at them. If your discus get sick do not freak out. Take your time treating them and they should pull through. I would write more to keep you entertained but alas the water is running and I already caught it from the wife from the flood 2 days ago. Seems told her it was a small leak and she thought overwise. anyone named John want to come to DC and convert my garage into a fish room?

Ed

zimmjeff
05-21-2012, 06:18 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck.

DiscusKev
05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
What a nightmare, glad things went well with the baking powder.

BABYJIZAY
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM
LMAO!! Well written and yes very entertaining. Glad you saved them and I will in turn never forget the saying.

shoveltrash
05-23-2012, 02:57 PM
OMG.............

I saved all the fish believe it or notwell done!

scottyk
05-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Talk about pucker factor...