PDA

View Full Version : Adding New Discus to the Tank

goblin321
05-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi All,

I just lost a discus :( I think she was sick since I bought her last July. Not growing..not eating much. So now I have 4 Discus in the tank. They are mated and love to lay eggs. Is it bad to add Discus since I have two mating pairs? I would love to have 6 of them in my 75 gallon. Not sure what to think... do I add 2 and hope they are male and female so they can be a happy couple too? Or am I asking for trouble if I add two and then they are two boys or two girls? Basically I don't want to have a troubling/unhappy tank. Too much fighting etc. The Discus I have in there now are about a year old.

Do adult Discus still like to be in a larger group of six or more?

Any Feedback would be great :)

Robin

WMD
05-21-2012, 10:40 PM
with that tank assuming there is no massive plant you can have 7 adults. however as you have pairs laying eggs they may be territorial and protective of the eggs. i believe you can add few more after Quarantine. are you planning to breed them? if not why do u want couples?? isnt couples = trouble? just my 1 cent advice, dont take it seriously

dprais1
05-21-2012, 10:46 PM
yeah discus, unless reproducing, don't 'pair up' you could have a group of 6 males and 1 female, or vice versa and the fish wouldn't care a bit.

goblin321
05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
I have no intention of breeding it's just the way it ended up. They just paired up. I really wanted about 6 pretty fish I guess I never though about what would happen if they paired up. I don't want couples but I also don't want to give up my fish and start over because the same thing can happen. I'm going to give it some thought.... I can just stay with the four I have or possibly add 2 more. It's a hard choice because the fish are so pretty I would love to see two more in the tank BUT will it cause to much fighting? Thank for the feedback!