PDA

View Full Version : Manzanita leaching....

xschug3
05-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I purchased 2 large pieces of manzanita for my tank....no discus yet, just lemon tetras. It's a 90 gal with a fluval 405 cannister on it. I rinsed the pieces well and plopped them in the tank, 24hrs later, murky water. I thought the carbon would've taken care of that. I pulled the pieces out and placed them in a 50 gallon drum of water with a pump and each day I've had to replace the water because it's completely murky the next day. I'm surprised as to how much these things are leaching! I've had them for a week and they're still leaching tons of tannins in a 24 hour period, so much that I don't want to put them back in my tank until they're fully leached.

What's the timeframe on that? How long does it typically take for them to be fully leached out?

strawberryblonde
05-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I've had a stump that's been leaching for almost a year now. It's not nearly as bad anymore, but if I don't keep up with water changes, I notice a definite murky yellow color to the water on the third day. I actually kinda like the color, even though the tank isn't a discus tank and the fish in there could care less about tannins. LOL

Acro
05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
If you have branches it will take awhile (3 months +). I even had mine sand blasted to see if would help.They looked good but,still leached. Discus like that tea color.

Wjmulder
05-23-2012, 05:10 PM
If you can get them in a pot, try boiling, draining and boiling again. It worked for me, had to turn over a few times to get the whole piece done but it worked.

Etek
05-23-2012, 10:27 PM
I rinsed and left my pieces of wood in a bucket almost daily for a couple weeks and boiled them on and off for couple more weeks. It leeches still possibly but with my water changes I don't see any yellow.

Skip
05-23-2012, 10:34 PM
it will always leach.. its ok..

if you don't like.. you could get the fake driftwood

xschug3
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
So my manzanita has definitely slowed down on the leaching. It has continued to do so slightly, but nothing like it was.

I'm getting a TON of white stringy, film-looking slime all over the wood again though. It looks aweful and everytime I clean if off, it just seems to come back within a couple days. What is this crap? I expected a little of this but not near as much as I have. I also thought it would go away by now and not return.

DerekFF
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Mine are 3 weeks in and still leeching tanins but the white fuzz stopped about 2 weeks in since my plecos ate it all

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

xschug3
06-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Derek- do you think I should add a pleco? I've never had this problem before and I've never had plecos in any of my tanks. I'm not a fan of them- large, boisterous, beligerant and ugly. If I could avoid them, I'd be much happier :o

Lenin
06-04-2012, 10:42 AM
It's a normal stage of the wood, just let it be as is, will dissapear in time.

DerekFF
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Oto cats or some little bristlenose would help greatly. You could leave it be, but it will take waaay longer that way

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2