PDA

View Full Version : Keeping an empty tank cycled

k7prz
05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I've got a 55 gal with an Aquaclear 70 full of aged water at 68 degrees. Do I add a little
ammonia once and a while to keep it cycled? I never know when I might have to add
discus to it. I can heat it up to 86 quickly.

So I'm thinking 1 milliliter of ammonia a week? Too much? Not enough? Or just dump a
little flake food in every week? Or more often?

Is the nitrifying (sp?) bacteria at 68 degrees the same bugs at 86 degrees?

thanks
Dave

DiscusDrew
05-24-2012, 12:02 PM
I can't speak to how often or the temperatures but I always seem to have an empty tank with bacteria to keep alive for possible transfers and such. I add food on a daily basis with my thought being that if not it will at least partially die off and I want it to stay capable of handling a decent bio load. I also keep the tank about 10 degrees warmer than you do. Just what I do and I know without a doubt that it keeps the bacteria alive because I never have mini cycles happen when I fill the tanks.

k7prz
05-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks DiscusDrew: I try to keep energy costs low so I don't heat the tank---but I could run it up a bit if
that would keep the bio alive. A plexiglass lid would help keep it warmer with a heater set to about 75.
I was wondering about the mini cycles. I had a few tanks stuck at high nitrites for a while and just changed out
all the water without changing anything in the filtration which seemed to work. Maybe I dosed them with too much ammonia.
A little food everyday might be a good idea. Just not sure how much for a 55 gal??? 1/8 teaspoon per day? Or is that too much?
I guess if I had fish in there they would be getting that much.

DiscusDrew
05-24-2012, 05:41 PM
At least that, i'm doing a decent size pinch in my 30 gal every day

jimg
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I just keep extra sponges or internal box filters in established tanks. there when needed no waste of electric or water. if you do want it going use enough ammonia to keep 1ppm +- have to check often until you know what will be used overnight or 24hrs. food a bad idea, breeding ground for fungus.

zman78
05-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I remember reading somewhere that bacteria in sponge filters can atl least to a month without any fish or excess food in the tank (stands to reason as healthy discus should be able to do the same without food). Imho, think a small pinch a week would suffice.

jimg
05-25-2012, 05:23 AM
I remember reading somewhere that bacteria in sponge filters can atl least to a month without any fish or excess food in the tank (stands to reason as healthy discus should be able to do the same without food). Imho, think a small pinch a week would suffice.have you ever done this then tested it?

brewmaster15
05-25-2012, 07:54 AM
HI all ,
years ago I posted on this, you can dry the sponges out....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21233-Biofilter-dry-out-experiment...&highlight=freeze+sponges

you can also freeze them... I have to find that discussion and will post links to it as well..it was a lengthy one.

hth,
al

DiscusDrew
05-25-2012, 12:57 PM
It must work to some extent because this is what most of our sellers do if you request a cycled sponge. I would say with a daily WC regimen you can probably keep levels at or near zero right off the bat. Just a guess as like Ive said I always ensure I have bio-media available for whatever venture I may choose to take..... After all it sucks to win a raffle or something and then not be able to recieve the fish!! Gotta have some way of making sure you have sponges at all times, at least in my house, and I know many of you have far more tanks and buy far more fish than I.

jimg
05-25-2012, 06:38 PM
can't beat proof tested! that's what I wanted to hear. I'll have to try that sometime too. would be good for a company to sell pre loaded dry filters.

zman78
05-25-2012, 11:28 PM
not for a month no, but for two weeks I had a 20 gallon empty and running then placed an anglefish in it, everything was/is fine.

jimg
05-26-2012, 06:50 AM
not for a month no, but for two weeks I had a 20 gallon empty and running then placed an anglefish in it, everything was/is fine. did you test the ammonia/nitrites? I'm not picking on what you post, I just like to know different ways to do things other than what I've done and like to test to be sure what works what don't. I used to keep and empty tank running with ammonia but never tried any other way so if there is a simpler way.....I'm for it!