PDA

View Full Version : Spawing Period

nabilbb
05-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi Every one,

I read the following on some website, Discus Spaw about 15 times after that thiere spawing season is finished and have to wait 6 months to spaw again

Is this right?

Thanks

Skip
05-24-2012, 12:28 PM
there is no spawning season for domestic discus..

there is a "season" when WILD DISCUS are available for the market.. but that is only "SEASON" i have heard..

or spawning season during certain times in amazon :)

Second Hand Pat
05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
I would say that wild discus have a spawning season which corresponds to the wet season in the Amazon.

Floppy Fin's
08-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Tank raised discus spawn whenever the urge hits them to do so, and there is a male and female in the same mood. IMHO. NO expert here.
In fact, I have a Cobalt pair that has spawned, once. And they were eggs themselves about mid February of 2012. They were exactly almost to the day of 6 months of age.. Question here.. What is the earliest anyone has in a spawn, successfull in hatch or not.

DiscusDrew
08-27-2012, 10:07 PM
They go off and on, there seems to be some pattern to it but Ive had pairs spawn FAR longer than 15 weeks, I have at one point read somewhere (Dieter Untergasser) that domestic discus run on 35 week cycles. In my tanks Ive seen no evidence as such though, they spawn on, they spawn off, seems to be no intervals that I find relevant.... I do think that moon cycles have had some influence though.... Just a random note.

dpete9
08-28-2012, 07:23 AM
for mine i have noticed there is definitely something that happens. They spawn perfectly on schedule 4-7 days (depending on the fish) for months. then stop for months..I wanted this one female to spawn for the contest she was on the every 5 day cycle and !@#$#$% as soon as i wanted to work with her she stopped. been weeks now grr