PDA

View Full Version : sponge filter

romann
05-24-2012, 11:30 PM
hi guys if i have to add methylene blue in my breeding tank i have to remove the sponge filter.

KV_Discus
05-24-2012, 11:50 PM
nope, sponge filter contain no carbon so you don't have to worry about remove it.

romann
05-24-2012, 11:56 PM
said methylene blue is harmful to biological filtration

romann
05-25-2012, 02:03 PM
the thing is when i instal the sponge filter the same day my fish laid eggs and i add meth blue in,now i find out that day i destroyed the biological filtration,to day I decide to instal a new one.my question is 1-if i have to worry about cycle? 2- i have a pair in the tank who start to spawn in the tank what can i do for them?please any advice will help.thank

DiscusDrew
05-25-2012, 02:14 PM
yes if it is a brand new sponge and you just tossed the old one then you will have a cycle taking place as always when the bio-media is completely removed. If possible I would gain a cycled sponge as that would be in their best interest, if not make sure to do very large water changes every day to keep all ammonia and nitrite down, maybe consider "PURE aquarium bacteria" or a similar product to help speed up the cycle if you cant get a sponge.

How do you know you killed the old sponge? Did you test your levels to see if the methyl blue actually destroyed the bacteria?

brewmaster15
05-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi methylene blue should not destroy your bio filter..I've used it many times here , I just leave the sponge in. Never had a problem with biofilters...However.. it takes forever to get the blue out of the sponge!

Another note...even if it does impair the biofilter a little.. IF you are doing large water changes (i recommend) with your fry...should not be an issue, imo.

hth,
al

romann
05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
I test my water every week everything always fine but I dont have a tds meter yet is on the way.just because since i add meth blue the eggs stay for 48 hours some got fungus and the fish eat all ,I though maybe the water dont have enough good bacteria,to day i instal a new one i remove the old one.1 DISCUSDREW and BREWMASTER do you guys think i chould keep the old one?2 why to do large W/C? my always very sorft until now

DiscusDrew
05-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Yes I think you should keep the old sponge. I dont have much experience with methyl blue but I have never heard of it destroying the bio-bed and everyone uses it when breeding for the most part. That said, if you remove the old sponge you just left your tank naked, with no biomaterial that has been cycled. I see no reason to do that, it can only do harm not good.

DiscusDrew
05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
I dont really understand the question on the other part my friend, about the water changes. Has your water changed from soft to hard? Thats pretty unusual unless your using RO or messing with something.

romann
05-25-2012, 03:35 PM
the water is very soft in my breeding tank, now i am going to live 2 sponge filter in it .thanks guys

DiscusDrew
05-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Perfect, more bio-filtration can not ever hurt!!

brewmaster15
05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
HI Romann,
Discus fry develop and grow best when they receive lots of clean water as water changes. ....generally speaking if you want the best in development in your fry, you want to give them optimal conditions to grow in.... so thats why I mentioned the water changes.

hth,
al

JenTN
05-25-2012, 05:26 PM
HI Romann,
Discus fry develop and grow best when they receive lots of clean water as water changes. ....generally speaking if you want the best in development in your fry, you want to give them optimal conditions to grow in.... so thats why I mentioned the water changes.

hth,
al

My fry get 2x dailies, sometimes I wonder why there is even a filter in there. Their tank gets dirty quickly.

romann
05-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Brewmaster I really appreciate your help guys,after you told me about large W/C I went to room and I did a large W/C.thanks agian.

brewmaster15
05-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Brewmaster I really appreciate your help guys,after you told me about large W/C I went to room and I did a large W/C.thanks agian. Just be sure to use water thats the same parameters when you do your water changes...and you'll have some happy fishes.:D

-al