PDA

View Full Version : When should I add salt to my aquarium???

krislewis3
05-25-2012, 06:34 AM
What do you guys think of adding salt to a discus aquarium?

Lt shinysides
05-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Why? I have only used salt as a med, as in salt bath.

Eddie
05-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Why? I have only used salt as a med, as in salt bath.

+1 no need unless you are treating

DiscusDrew
05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
You really feel the need to throw stuff in your aquarium huh???? You seem to be asking a lot about medicating in some way, sounds like you need to relax and focus on water quality and consistency.... Then we will rarely even have to think or talk about medicating!! :)

krislewis3
05-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Yea well I'm in the medical field. I have learned on this site that meds are NOT the way to go UNLESS!!
That being said, my discus still has something on his tail fin. I tried to post a photo on the disease forum, however I'm not sure you can make it out. The photo is on photo bucket...I'm not sure if you guys can go there and see it more clearly. Anyhow, would it be reasonable to treat with salt, or am I being an obsessive nurse?????

DiscusDrew
05-25-2012, 02:19 PM
The picture is tiny so you probably just need to upload a better one to photo bucket. At this point I would way your overthinking things a little, if it is not growing then for now just keep up with the same advice you've recieved from everyone, large water changes, age water if necessary, so on and so on. Back to the basics my friend, then if things are getting worse and weve ruled out those problems I would consider medication.

flexo248
05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
i use little aqu. salt for my big water change.....other than that no need....... as long as your discus is eating and not hiding, fin rotting,,,etc
they are fine then not need to worry....if you do too much it will make them stress and stunt their grow

good luck

Stuewart
05-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Ive seen a LOT of posts from this guy in the past few days.. I agree with DiscuDrew. Go back to the basics. May I ask where you got these problematic fish from? And I dont think anyone really NEEDS to use salt for discus unless its like confirmed to help a problem that they're having. Dont go throwing stuff in your tank if you arent sure about it

shoveltrash
05-25-2012, 05:59 PM
am I being an obsessive nurse?????
omg, LMAO!!!!! :laugh:

I can laugh, because I'm a nurse too ;).
keep things simple. good clean water, stable parameters, food - leave 'em alone for a while and enjoy them!

nc0gnet0
05-25-2012, 07:19 PM
You add the salt to the aquarium just prior to adding the potatoes, carrots, and onions. While adding the salt, be sure to add the pepper as well. Adding the salt any earlier or later will result in your fish stew not tasting right.

And if your not making fish stew, save the salt for your french fries.

Rick

walt3
05-25-2012, 07:31 PM
lots of clean water is best bet. i found it really helped out when i thought i had issues.

vicdiscus
05-25-2012, 07:43 PM
salt is good for discus if we need salt for some reasons but we don't need salt for happy health discus!

krislewis3
05-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Ok, ok, ok guys.... Point taken ( my husband is saying "i told you so" BUT..........my one fish still has something on his tail!!!! I just received a new shipment from Hans, who are in quarantine, and I would like to fix the tail issue on my older fish prior to putting the new fish in there. I continue to do 50%wc daily and continue to see no change for better or worse. Any tips??? Oh yea, and I'm NOT a GUY!!!!!!

Wjmulder
05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I had a discus with a spot on his tail more than a month ago, never changed. One day I noticed it was gone. As my kids say, "Me thinks you need to take a chill pill!"

DiscusDrew
05-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Ok, ok, ok guys.... Point taken ( my husband is saying "i told you so" BUT..........my one fish still has something on his tail!!!! I just received a new shipment from Hans, who are in quarantine, and I would like to fix the tail issue on my older fish prior to putting the new fish in there. I continue to do 50%wc daily and continue to see no change for better or worse. Any tips??? Oh yea, and I'm NOT a GUY!!!!!!

Well, guess its a good thing you have a whole month or more to keep the new guys in QT and do daily water changes and see if anything changes huh? :) Like weve all been saying, just relax my friend, its time to let biology be biology, it may or may not go away but if you keep doing daily water changes with stable water then his immune system should be able to overcome it if it is bad, and in a month if nothing has changed then I would then presume it is nothing to worry about.

krislewis3
05-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Sigh of relief..............so you think that if in several weeks, the tail issue hasn't changed, it's safe to put the new guys in with him????