PDA

View Full Version : New discus from yim11....

water_sprite
05-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Hi All,

Went to Dallas on Wednesday to get my first discus (8 Alex P red turqs) ever from yim11!.....I got to see all of Jim's fish and he graciously answered questions for me....I could have stayed there all day!

I have a BB 40G breeder aquarium, cycled with a HOB and sponge filter and heater. They are settled in and eating great. I also have a 55 gallon food grade barrel to age my water in.

I am feeding Al's FDBW, Ken's BH flakes and just got several packages of BH.

I think I have read every sticky and thread on this here. I so appreciate everyone's contribution. It has given me the courage to keep discus that I have wanted to for years.

Have a couple of questions:

1. Can I use a sump pump for my aging barrel to my aquarium or would it be better to get a pond pump?

2. After I clean the BH, should I just feed frozen shaved pieces or should I make a BH mix or both?

3. So far, does it sound like I'm doing things right?

Thanks, Brenn

Btw, I am so excited to start this new adventure.

dadecountyalan
05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
give those fish plenty of fresh CONSISTENT water and your going to have great fish. couldnt have pick better foods( although i think the bh flake and worms are enough, beefheart a little to messy). And the piwowarski blood line is amazing.

DONT FORGET ABOUT THE PICTURES!

yim11
05-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Thanks Brenn! It was great to meet y'all! You have definitely done your homework. :)

I've always used pond pumps, I only feed the beef heart mix, for very small fish I shave it.

I have no doubt you will grow them out to be nice fish!

Take care,
-jim