PDA

View Full Version : moving pair from high to low tds question

rickscics
05-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Main tank is 400 tds. The breeding ro tank is ro 30 tds. Would it be acceptable to move the pair directly to the breeding tank or whould tds be lowered gradualy?

shoveltrash
05-26-2012, 07:00 PM
what's the difference in the pH?
going from a higher pH to a lower would probably require some gradual adjustment.

rickscics
05-26-2012, 09:38 PM
what's the difference in the pH?
going from a higher pH to a lower would probably require some gradual adjustment.

ro ph is aproximately neutrual. main tank is 7.2 so no issue with ph.
I put a pair in the ro tank and they seem just fine so far. Thanks for the reply.

Second Hand Pat
05-26-2012, 09:40 PM
When I transitioned my tanks from tap to RO/tap mix I lowered the TDS no more then 50 ppm at a time during the WCs. My tanks started at 233 and when to 40s.

rickscics
05-27-2012, 12:55 AM
When I transitioned my tanks from tap to RO/tap mix I lowered the TDS no more then 50 ppm at a time during the WCs. My tanks started at 233 and when to 40s.

yes Pat, I saw your post about that. Why did you do that is the question? I cant think of any reason for
doing that except thinking maybe it would stress them. That's what I was thinking. I decided to put a pair in a watch them.If they were acting stressed I would move them back. They seem very happy however and instead of being stressed they have started pre spawning activity. I will keep aclose eye for the next couple of days and see how they do .
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Rick

Keith Perkins
05-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I'll be interested to see how you make out. I could never go from my tap water with a TDS around 300 to remineralized RO, but in my case the ph drop would be a full point or more.

jimg
05-27-2012, 10:02 AM
when I change ec/tds in a tank I try to stay about 20 ec in change each few days. the reason to do it gradual is gh effects them more than most anything. it effects the levels of osmoregultaion in their systems. either way up/down stresses their organs with too much change, how much change is harmful I really don't know but I feel safe and have had no problems doing it that way, which is very close to the 50 tds Pat did.

Second Hand Pat
05-27-2012, 10:02 AM
yes Pat, I saw your post about that. Why did you do that is the question? I cant think of any reason for
doing that except thinking maybe it would stress them. That's what I was thinking. I decided to put a pair in a watch them.If they were acting stressed I would move them back. They seem very happy however and instead of being stressed they have started pre spawning activity. I will keep aclose eye for the next couple of days and see how they do .
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Rick

Hi Rick, when I change the water parameters with my fish I do everything slow especially when it involves a PH change (even a small one). Extra care is needed when going from a higher PH to a lower PH like Keith suggested.

rickscics
05-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Hi Rick, when I change the water parameters with my fish I do everything slow especially when it involves a PH change (even a small one). Extra care is needed when going from a higher PH to a lower PH like Keith suggested.

Yes Pat, I understand the issue about changing phhowever my ph isn't changing much at all/ ph doesn't or shouldn't really change by adding ro water
since ro is approximately neutral as is my water out my tap, Therefore I don't think ph is any issue at least in this case.
I notice a number of people stating their ph changed when adding ro,some spike up but the measuring gauges are not really set up for measuring low ionic water so the ph won't measure correctly using the meters like Hanna etc. At least that is what I have come to understand through my investigating.
Perhaps the issue raised about GH change affecting the organs mentioned by Jimg could be an issue. I hope not!
I will be keeping a close eye on them. thanks everyone for weighing in on this issue.