PDA

View Full Version : In need of some input on medicating arg metronidazole powder

matt2426
05-28-2012, 01:42 AM
I believe one of my fish may have hex he is very dark and pooping a slimy white feces. I have not put any new additions into the tank in months. I have been slacking on water changes so it's my guess that this is the cause of this. I do have some arg Metronidazole and was wondering if i can get some advise on dosing which has worked for some of you guys. I am going to measure out using a tps. on the back the instruction say to dose 1/4 tps for every 41 gallons. it says do a water change and treat everyday for 5-7 days. now i read that the metronidazole doesn't last long so do i treat my whole tank every treatment or do i just treat the water i take out. or is there a more effective way that works better thanks alot

DiscusDrew
05-28-2012, 02:43 AM
7 to 10 days, usually 400 Mg/10 gal or a little less, and yes, do water change everyday 50% but reside for entire tank every day. Good luck.

mrblah00
05-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Matt, with the arg I use double the recommended dosage. I also dose every 12 hours regardless of waterchange. My routine is to dose in the morning then redose in the evening with a 100% waterchange.
Sam

a volar
05-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Im about to use this medication also and looking for an answer................

nc0gnet0
05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
If all else fails.......follow the instructions.

a volar
05-29-2012, 11:24 PM
instructions are not really clear...... also I have seen many times here that some times it differ experience from instructions ....

nc0gnet0
05-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I treat for 10 days, at double the recomended dosage listed on the ARG instructions. During the process I also raise the heat to 90-91 degrees and add an extra airstone. 80% water changes daily. If the fish have not been eating for a period of time, I try to get encourage them to eat by feeding live blackworms. This is the only time I feed live blackworms. I feel having food pass through the intestinal tract helps purge the fish of the parasite. I think there is a good chance most discus actually have a few of these in their system, but when outside stressors are introduced (ie bad WQ, bullying, new tank) to the point that the fish stop eating for a time, hex then can take hold and multiply.

Continue the treatment for the full 10 days, even if the fish do start eating and thier poo turns back to normal color prior to the end of the treatment. If secondary bacterial infections are a concern, you can treat with kanamycin at the same time as the metro.