PDA

View Full Version : Mopani wood and higher ph

bonginator
05-28-2012, 01:05 PM
I was doing my water quality tests today and noticed something unexpected. I have two discus tanks that get water from the same source. 3 weeks ago, I added a larger piece of Mopani wood to my breeder tank and the other tank has no wood and a pool sand substrate.

When testing ph on both tanks, I notice that the tank without Mopani has a ph of 7.0. The tank with the Mopani has a ph of 7.5. I expected that the Mopani would lower the ph and not raise it.

Anyone else experienced a similar change? I thought this was strange. Guess I need to pull it as I really want to lower ph on that tank slightly.

Sandy

Floppy Fin's
05-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I have two large Mopani wood chunks coming also for a 90 galllon tank. I think they suggest boiling the wood first. But I may be wrong. I am interested in what others have to say about adding this to their bare tank setups for PH or any other incidents.
Floppy Fin's

xxbenjamminxx
05-28-2012, 04:47 PM
I have some mopani as well but never really noticed a change in PH, but then again I never really looked. I will have to check it out and report back. I have one tank with Oak wood as well so was planning on testing that one anyhow. I do know that the TDS in the tank with Mopani does creep up slightly between WC's but there is also Eco Complete Substrate, and a few rocks in there as well (Petrified Wood).

bonginator
05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
I have some mopani as well but never really noticed a change in PH, but then again I never really looked. I will have to check it out and report back. I have one tank with Oak wood as well so was planning on testing that one anyhow. I do know that the TDS in the tank with Mopani does creep up slightly between WC's but there is also Eco Complete Substrate, and a few rocks in there as well (Petrified Wood).

Thanks. If you could check, that would be interesting. The only difference in my two tanks is the Mopani wood in one and the pool sand substrate in the other. I do not think the pool sand is supposed to affect ph. They both get water changes from the same source on the same day.