PDA

View Full Version : tds how to lower it

romann
05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
i dont know how please someone tell me .thanks guys

Trevor W
05-29-2012, 07:16 PM
You can simply lower the TDS of your water in a tank by either doing a partial water change and re-filling with R.O water (very low TDS most output about 1-10 TDS) or you can just simply do large water changes with water that is a mix between your tap water(high TDS I assume) and R.O water. Also you can have absolutly zero TDS by running a deionizing stage on the R.O filter there for you would be running a R.O.DI unit. But honestly there (in my opinion) is no point unless you are also into keeping saltwater as well. R.O and tap mix is my suggestion. HTH

Trevor

Keith Perkins
05-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Yes, using or mixing with RO is the normal method. Of course unless you plan on breeding them, and some will argue not even then, you don't need to lower it.

romann
05-29-2012, 10:14 PM
for the breeding tank what i can do? CozyKeith

Keith Perkins
05-29-2012, 10:24 PM
There are a couple different options, all involve RO. Some people use RO and mix back aged tap water to get the TDS to the level they want it. Personally, I use nothing but RO and remineralize it to bring the TDS back to the level I desire. I shoot for around 70 or so in breeding tanks. Not a difficult process, as long as you have a TDS meter. Good luck.

romann
05-29-2012, 11:10 PM
i brought one i don't receive yet ,I use RO to but i never use something to remineralize it ,what kind of remineralize do you used? please tell me the brand or the name of it.

Keith Perkins
05-29-2012, 11:21 PM
RO Right is the one I use, but mostly because when I got into RO it's what was available at my LFS. There are a bunch of options out there and as far as I know they all do pretty much the same thing. Sounds like you're on the right path.

romann
05-29-2012, 11:36 PM
thanks,what happen to is I have 8 discus in my community tank after 10 month they start to pair 4 of them laid eggs in the CT the eggs hatch when they free swimming other fish eat them, I decide to set up a breeding tank every time the pair I put in the tank laid eggs they got fungus or they eat them,thats the reason who push to ask you all this question about the tds and RO.THANKS AGAIN

Keith Perkins
05-29-2012, 11:43 PM
If your fish spawn while your home, you could try treating the eggs with methane blue right after they finish spawning. It's the one thing I now of that will minimize or eliminate egg fungus. Squirt directly on eggs until the tank water is good and blue. Just finished washing MB off my right hand from applying it to the latest spawn.

romann
05-29-2012, 11:53 PM
ok thanks, do you know where Ican order a breeder cone on line because all the pet store I went they dont sale B cone

Keith Perkins
05-30-2012, 12:01 AM
If you're going to order one and that's all you want I'd get them from Barb, she's a sponsor here and her user name is DISGIRL. Here's a link. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?96127-Extra-cones-available-now

Kensfish.com has them, lots of places carry them.

romann
05-30-2012, 12:08 AM
thanks for helping me .talk to you later good night

romann
05-31-2012, 04:12 PM
it's not fair in my community tank the hardness 300 ppm my discus laid eggs and they hatch but in my breeding tank everything is fine i dont know for the tds bcause they dont delivered yet my tds meter the eggs dont what i can do ?

Keith Perkins
05-31-2012, 08:54 PM
If they were spawning in the community tank, odds are it's only a matter of time before they get it right in their new home. Patience, rule #1 discus keeping.

romann
05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
thanks for the info I contact BARB she said i will receive the cone on monday,CozyKeith actually the pair who was in my b/tank laid eggs in the C/tank yesterday evening must of the turn dark after 24 hour,I know I need patience it just confused.

romann
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
do you think if I used the discus trace element in my tank I stil need to add RO right into the water. CozyKeith

Keith Perkins
05-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Not familiar with that, but they may very well be the same thing. I'd Goggle RO Right and compare the two.

romann
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
CozyKeith wire mesh people talking about for eggs guard it is the same as the one saling at home depot.

Keith Perkins
05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
See my previous post, I think they're essentially the same thing.

DerekFF
06-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Your problem doesnt seem to have anything to do with tds. If they have already had fry then there isnt a problem with water hardness. As already stated use some meth blue to help prevent fungus

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2