PDA

View Full Version : damn it all

dprais1
05-30-2012, 06:32 PM
okay so i just started doing 95% wc with aged, 24hr, aerated tap water. about ten minutes before the wc i add prime.

except today i forgot to add the prime. i realized that about 5 minutes after filling the tank. then i added the prime.

did i just kill off all my biobacteria, i think all chlorine should have been gone by 24hours....?

with 95% daily w/c should i be concerned ?

all discus and corys are behaving 100% as normal. no darkness no hiding and waiting to eat as soon as i walk near the tank.

chaoslite
05-30-2012, 06:34 PM
You will be fine. I add it after I start the refill. Once I forgot for a full 45 minutes. That was scary but the fish survived.

Mishka

a volar
05-30-2012, 06:35 PM
I dont see anything to worry about

zimmjeff
05-30-2012, 06:45 PM
your good

Trier20
05-30-2012, 06:55 PM
It's good! I've seen fish go through worse than that

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nq3nfb
-Brandon

wdeleon01
05-30-2012, 07:10 PM
I've Forgotten to add it before as well and luckily i didnt loose any of them. I kicked myself for that one as well.

dprais1
05-30-2012, 07:20 PM
any suggestions as what to do next...they still seem fine and are eating fdbw.

wdeleon01
05-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Just watch and enjoy them. ;) They should be fine. Your biofilter is probably not affected either.

dprais1
05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Just watch and enjoy them. ;) They should be fine. Your biofilter is probably not affected either.

i like that answer!!!

NoMondays
05-30-2012, 07:45 PM
+1

The chlorine is likely gone due to aging with 24 hr aeration. Depending upon your local water there might have been some residual 'ammonia stuff" but with an active bio- that should also clear up fairly quickly. As wdeleon says ... "they should be fine".

xKevinx
05-30-2012, 08:07 PM
i age my water one barrell for 24hr and one for 48hr and never add prime and i do 50% of 110gal WC everyday. my fish couldnt be happier

dprais1
05-30-2012, 08:15 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhh....i'll sit back and enjoy my fish.

thanks

dprais1
05-30-2012, 08:16 PM
==ps i went outside and mowed my lawn, well1/3 of it, so i didn't do anything stupid like change all the water again and effect the ph..etc...etc

DiscusDrew
05-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Haha ohhh us discus people, we can be our fishes worst enemy. Good job mowing the lawn, in a lot of cases I think Im going to just start saying "go mow the lawn and leave your damn fish alone" haha. Your fish and your bio-filter didnt even notice what you did Im guessing, I add prime to the tank as im adding the water, forgotten before just like everyone else thats done this long enough and as long as its added within a reasonable amount of time your fine.

dprais1
05-30-2012, 08:24 PM
right, mow the lawn and do nothing. easier said than done, but thanks to this site i did as suggested--nothing. although i'm still in my basement monitoring this thread....

...which is better than being upstairs doing something harmfull

Chicago Discus
05-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Its going to be fine their tuff little creatures Discus and Bacteria.......no worries....Josie

dprais1
05-30-2012, 08:46 PM
thanks....i appriciate all the feedback, but hearing from you means an awful lot....

dan

Bishop
05-30-2012, 09:06 PM
OK I will ask the dumb question here. Why do you need to add prime if it is aged water?

dprais1
05-30-2012, 09:10 PM
i guess just 'in case' there are high levels of chlorine. and, in my ubderstanding, chloramine is not nuetralized other than by chemical means

Donno
05-30-2012, 09:16 PM
A long time ago (decades) I decided to do a 100% water change and cleaning on a community tank and was told by my LFS guy that hot water didn't have chlorine in it and if I misted in the cold water the chorine would dissapate. I took all of my fish out, cleaned everything thoroughly and filled it partially with cold misted water and the rest from my hot water tank. I didn't add any water conditioner, even though I had plenty.
I was sick when I saw and realized what was going on and quickly added chlorine remover. Needless to say I killed most of my fish. I had some very old fish that I killed due to stupidity.
I'm now completely anal about adding chlorine remover and probably put in 2-3 times as much as I need.

DiscusDrew
05-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow thats possibly the worst advice Ive ever heard a LFS give.... Completely untrue on all levels.... I think I would have raised hell over that one... then again that would have sounded incredibly suspicious to me.

Bishop
05-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks dprais1. I guess I will take more caution. I always thought that aging water would take care of that.

Donno
05-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Wow thats possibly the worst advice Ive ever heard a LFS give.... Completely untrue on all levels.... I think I would have raised hell over that one... then again that would have sounded incredibly suspicious to me.

I wore the guy out after that experience. His excuse was that he didn't say that it would get rid of all of the chlorine and that I should have known better. Actually I was young and nieve, stupid really. Live and learn.

Discus-Hans
05-30-2012, 10:31 PM
I've just a standard going, the moment I refill or complete fill my storage tanks, look how much there is to fill and direct add the dechlorinator (I use Chloram~X powder). I never have to think did I or did I not, just standard rule, even if the phone is ringing of the hook, keep the standard, fill + add,

Hans

dprais1
05-30-2012, 10:40 PM
oh man, hans-the man himeslf

i used to always fill the barrel, add prime and forget about it until the next wc
someone seemed to suggest that adding the prime first allowed allowed bacteria to grow until the next wc so i stopped. but old routines die hard with old dogs (okay maybe im not that old) but do you think it really makes that much difference, esp since i use cool water to fill the barrel? or am i just being OCD, whicj is the opposite of what i want to be.

ps-thanks so much for contibuting to my thread.. i feel as i've just gained several levels in some computer game

DiscusDrew
05-30-2012, 10:49 PM
For myself personally I premeasure the amount Im going to use (dechlorinator, prime) and place it by the tank. Its the first part of my routine always. That said though, if I EVER think theres even a remote possibility that I forgot to add the prime I add another dose, since it can not and will not effect anything. Theres no downside to using more, but theres an awful consequence for using to little or none at all. JMO

Discus-Hans
05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
oh man, hans-the man himeslf

Ohhhhh please!!!!!! I'm just one of the guys, the tittle caught my eye, or my eye caught the tittle: Damn it all lol

Buy some:

ClorAm-X
Dry powder
water treatment

Removes Chlorine, Chloramines and Ammonia.
Use as water conditioner by adding directly to tap water, no stock solution necessary.
Available in bulk boxes of:
5 LBS (treats 18,794 gallons)
10 LBS (treats 37,588 gallons) and 25K

“ClorAm-X” is completely safe and has even been granted FDA approval for use on Food Fish for human consumption. Effective for up to 72 hours for situations such as shipping fish or quarantine.
Use salicylate based test kits to test for the presence of Ammonia in ClorAm-X treated water.

As you can see it works up to 72 hours, presume before that you use the water from your storage tank?

Hans

Chicago Discus
05-30-2012, 11:23 PM
oh man, hans-the man himself

Dont let him fool you Dan he's My Guru ...............Josie

dprais1
05-30-2012, 11:27 PM
..lol..i'm satisfied....going tobed now. taking my daughter to the zoo tomorrow. or if it rains the shedd...

Chicago Discus
05-30-2012, 11:29 PM
..lol..i'm satisfied....going tobed now. taking my daughter to the zoo tomorrow. or if it rains the shedd...

Give that cutie a big hug for me.........she wants to go to the zoo so try to go there lots of inside Animal houses............Josie