PDA

View Full Version : Water aged at Room Temp....

Skip
05-31-2012, 01:01 PM
So i have been thinking..

i know.. its dangerous..

my shrimp tanks are unheated.. room temp.. they run about around 77-79F

ac is set to 75F when i am gone during day.. and i drop it to 71F at night.. being latino, i have HOT BLOOD.. so i like to be cold during sleep..

i was thinking about Aging water.. aerate.. no heat..

Discus tanks are about 84ish..

i would think a 5 degree difference would not be that big of deal..

bueller.. bueller/?!

DiscusDrew
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Back in the day (maybe still??) People would do water changes of up to a 5 degree difference just to try to induce spawning. My guess would be not such a huge deal within 5 degrees but not optimal either. Just thinking out loud really....

ZX10R
05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
I would think it depends on how long you age the water, what is it in, and what temp you fill the barrel. I use a 55 gallon drum wrapped with insulation I keep my house at 76 during the day and 74 at night. I fill my barrel with cold water age it for 24 hours and use a heater in it. Once I filled it and forgot to plug the heater in the next night it was ice cold still. Maybe if your container was open top and the material allowed heat to transfer thru it quickly plus you filled it with warm water then yes it might work. But if you use cold water to fill like me I don't think it will hit 75 in 24 hrs.

ockyra215
05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
I dont think youll have a problem Skip. If it was the amazon and a huge rain came thru it may drop more then degrees only thing is your going to burn more energy heating the tanks back up to the 5 degree difference. Think of it like this heat your water barrel=1 heater heat the tanks multiple heaters dont know if your trying to save cash or not?

Skip
05-31-2012, 03:53 PM
I dont think youll have a problem Skip. If it was the amazon and a huge rain came thru it may drop more then degrees only thing is your going to burn more energy heating the tanks back up to the 5 degree difference. Think of it like this heat your water barrel=1 heater heat the tanks multiple heaters dont know if your trying to save cash or not?

yes.. TEXAS gets HOT! elec bills go up..

its bad enough i have 6 heaters in apt.. just in time for summer :(

aalbina
05-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Hey Skip -- I think it depends on how much water you change. Probably not a big deal for 25% - maybe everyday doing Eddie style changes at 100% would be a stressor...

Adam

Skip
05-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey Skip -- I think it depends on how much water you change. Probably not a big deal for 25% - maybe everyday doing Eddie style changes at 100% would be a stressor...

Adam

adam.. thats what i was thinking.. if i do this.. then i am looking at doing like 75% but no less then 50%.. so the existing tank water should help buffer too big of a swing

Wjmulder
05-31-2012, 04:56 PM
So if your going to do a smaller water change to minimize the temp shock, wouldn't the ph shock be minimized as well? If so, why age at all?

Skip
05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
So if your going to do a smaller water change to minimize the temp shock, wouldn't the ph shock be minimized as well? If so, why age at all?

thats that i do now.. they seem ok with it.. straight out of tap..

for sure there are benefits to AGE..

it was the TEMP.. i was really looking at.. or no heater method..

Wjmulder
05-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Please don't start aging Skip!!! Then I'll have to! Lol!

I just started doing 80 percent water changes instead of 50 in hopes of bonding!!!

Skip
05-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Please don't start aging Skip!!! Then I'll have to! Lol!

I just started doing 80 percent water changes instead of 50 in hopes of bonding!!!

i have contest fish/fry.. i need to start plotting my methods.. LOL

Wjmulder
05-31-2012, 05:10 PM
I also started adding prime to the tank and then adding water like you do.....much easier, eliminated the whole tub fill and siphon routine! Thats why I upped my water changes, it's faster and easier.

Skip
05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
i can only fill as fast as my sink pushes out.. another reason.. that fancy pump of mine may come in handy :)

Wjmulder
05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=warlock4169;898381]i have contest fish/fry..

We have those here too, but it involves forks and knives, tartar sauce, and lots of beer. Lol!