PDA

View Full Version : Too young to breed?

PhoenixLR
06-02-2012, 05:41 PM
I had two discus(pigeon blood) they were always at each other's throats. Then, I added at third(red turqouis) The pristeen pigeon blood treated the turq very differently. The eventually paired and I had to remove the other PB. This I feel would be normal but under the circumstances it is not. The pairing happend within two weeks of introducing the turq and the pair are in the 6 month old range. Nothing special? They are vigorously cleaning leaves on a sword plant and the papillas are exposed. What is really going on? Aren't they too young to spawn?

LizStreithorst
06-02-2012, 05:51 PM
If they're only 6 months old they may never reach their potential if they raise fry. Also, a PB/Turk cross will produce ugly offspring. PB to PB, none Pigeon to non Pigeon is the rule of thumb.

Harry Marsh
06-02-2012, 06:00 PM
If they're only 6 months old they may never reach their potential if they raise fry. Also, a PB/Turk cross will produce ugly offspring. PB to PB, none Pigeon to non Pigeon is the rule of thumb.

Agreed on all

Don't let them breed that early or they'll look like footballs for two additional years

PhoenixLR
06-02-2012, 06:17 PM
What will the offspring look like and are there examples online I can see?

Etek
06-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I have the same "problem" I have a 3" classic leopard from Kenny and forrest and a 4" blue pigeon from Hans that are too young too breed as well. Already been advised not to let them breed which luckily they haven't. The PB has laid eggs..I've scraped them off the side of the tank. Is there anything else to stem breeding attempts short of removing one of them?

LizStreithorst
06-02-2012, 07:51 PM
If if the fish are in tank with other fish, the other fish will eat the free swimmers. If your water is not conducive to eggs hatching you're out of the woods. IMO the fish lay and fertilize when they feel they're ready. It does no harm. It's raising the fry that will set them back.

PhoenixLR
06-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Well, I posted the original thread today at 2:41 an now at 9:50 my pair of 6 months old discus just finished spawning(odd time). My black angels usually spawn around 12:00 noon to around 4:00pm. (Anyway)The clutch is on two leaves and appears to be about 150 to 200 eggs. I'll be suprised if anything survives being this is their spawn and them being so young but we'll see. I was excited at the prospect of babies until I found out the combintion of parents don't really make beautiful babies but, I have seen turk/pb mix and they are not bad at all. So not a loss. At least I know what sex my discus are at this age. I have to fight the urge to mess with the water chemistry or the lighting but I am going to cover the tank and feed them through a hole. Skeptical for the next few days...

TNT77
06-03-2012, 01:15 AM
Most will be heavily peppered. There may be a couple in the spawn that are decent. Not a cross to do if you wish to truly breed unless you have a certain goal in mind.

PhoenixLR
06-05-2012, 06:30 PM
So, they laid eggs and were trying to move them to a new location today. out of about 175 eggs I got 82 hatchlings. The problem was the fry did not stick to the new location to the male would end up swallowing the fry from repeated attempts to get them to stick. So I took them and am noe going to try an hand rear them. I have many successful angelfish broods to I think I can handle these guys. I have come up with a dark piece of plastic, rough texture similar to scales and I will use a combination of egg yolk,spirulina, and omega 3 fats. My plan is to divide them into smaller groups to see which combination of food yields the best results. If I end up with 10 out of 82 I'll be happy. Got any suggestions of food combinations?