PDA

View Full Version : What plants could I keep?

gliebig
06-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm converting my 125gal to a discus tank and was thinking about adding some plants. I'm using pool filter sand as a substrate and was planning on keeping the 3x150wt metal halides. If I have that setup and do not run any Co2, what kind of plants could I grow?

Elliots
06-03-2012, 08:51 PM
I tend to do what I want. I would buy the plants I liked the look of and try them in your tank. Although the answers you get on this site are usually correct, every tank is different. Research the plants and see which ones, like swords, need their roots fertilized and which do not. The cost of most plants is small as compared to the cost of Discus, get your plant selection down before you get Discus as dying and decaying plants are not good for Discus.

3dees
06-04-2012, 09:04 AM
run three 150w mh's without co2 and you will be growing algae and lots of it.

gliebig
06-04-2012, 10:07 AM
^ I'm not looking to do a fully planted tank, just a few to add color. So your saying even if I only add a couple plants, I'm going to have an algae nightmare?? What kind of bulbs would you suggest. I was only keeping the halides because I really like the shimmer effect. I appreciate any info.

Thanks,
Greg

DerekFF
06-04-2012, 10:27 AM
3x150w MH lamps will definitely grow mad algae. Will also definitly grow any plant you want but growth will be restricted by lack if CO2. You could use them but you will have to raise them waaaay high above your tank or else use a window screen (metal to take the heat) to cut down on the amount of light making it to the tank. But either way the cost of running 3xMH lamps like that would pay for new T5 lighting or hell even LED lighting (which will give the shimmer btw)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

gliebig
06-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Ok. I'm not married to the halides, just the shimmer. :-) How many watts of LED would work well? Do those curly cfl bulbs shimmer? I kind of remember seeing them mounted horizontally on someone's tank and they gave a nice shimmer.?

DerekFF
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I dont know that much about how many led's you would need. diy seems to be the way to go with them since you can make any style or amount that you want. I also dont know if cfl's will shimmer since i dont use them

gliebig
06-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Would 3x70watt halides be a much better option than the 3x150 over the 125gallon, or would there still be algae issues?

DerekFF
06-06-2012, 11:39 AM
That would be much more acceptable