PDA

View Full Version : I hope this helps someone

Josef
06-04-2012, 09:10 AM
As experienced as I am in fish keeping.....

So I bought a few fry from someone because they were dirt cheap. What I didn't like was the person's inability to measure fish. A two 1" fish does not make for a 2" fish - get a ruler LOL! But I anticipated that so it was no real shocker for me and no real lose - the amount of money I paid was acceptable as a lose - no biggie. And trust me I don't believe in throwing away money - I should have typed that last statement in all caps! The fish were not in the best condition - but I did pick them up myself - I felt sorry for the old chap. I hold no ill will towards the chap - he's just doing his best I'm sure.

But this thread is not about the fish I bought or the old chap who sold them to me. This thread is actually a declaration and hopefully a thread that is going to save people a lot of wasted time, money and energy.

If you are new to keeping Discus or just want to get back into them and you don't want to breed them but just want to enjoy them....

Do yourself a favor and save money, time and energy in the long run by just buying adults. Yes they cost more money up front but the majority of your disapointment and frustration will be eliminated. And when I say frustration and disapointement I don't mean that you may be too lazy to do what purist do to raise their Discus. What I mean is that you remove some 95% of anything going wrong along the way to having nice fish. And it's not just about being able to grow them out succesfully but will they turn out to be what you envisioned when you saw the adult strain?

If you get adults from a repudable distributor all you have to do is maintain your aquarium. Maintaining your aquarium is neccesary for keeping any fish - even gold fish, so that is a given.

Bottom line - if you buy adults you get to enjoy the exact fish that you want!

Harry Marsh
06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Long standing maxims here
Juvies are a lot of energy and risk...both eliminated by buying adults
You are saving money buying adults at $300 a pop vs being given small guys, even for free

Josef
06-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Just want to remind the reader - I posted this only because it might help someone. I have keept fish for a long time and had Discus off and on during those years - I was totally aware of the decision I made when I went out to get these fry - the amount of money I spent was minimal - I call it more of an experiment. I will most likely stack my chips and get about 7 Red Turqs full grown from a local source that carries a really nice line :)

ExReefer
06-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I like to get them around 4-5" and grow them out. At that size, the majority of the work as been completed, but you can still enjoy watching them turn into adults. It's a happy medium IMO.

Elliots
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
I was convinced by SD not to try raising 2-3" fish in a planted tank. That was my plan before I found SD. Now I'm still not certain if I'll get 4-5-6" Discus. When I see them live (Hopefully at Hans in Md.) I'll pick what I want. I am leaning towards 6" now.

Josef
06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Here in NJ I have a local supplier near me. Used to be an SD sponsor but not anymore so I wont name the business. I've been there twice to get fish and they have a really nice selection of Discus. I will certainly buy the 6" range :)

strawberryblonde
06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I like to get them around 4-5" and grow them out. At that size, the majority of the work as been completed, but you can still enjoy watching them turn into adults. It's a happy medium IMO.

+1

Mine were all 4" or a wee bit over that, and purchased from one reputable source (Hans Discus ftw!). It was still a lot of work, but also a lot of fun to grow them out for 6 months.

Grow out time is shorter with the sub-adults, feedings and cleaning are less rigorous and you still get the reward of watching them grow without as many worries.

Harriett
06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
I can see your point of view! I do think inividual hobbyists have different goals with Discus. Some of us are 'buy it-enjoy it' types, and some of us are do-it-yourselfers', $ aside. I understand the appeal of not caring to deal with any of the multitude of situations encountered growing out little guys or fry and having a sort of finished product to maintain--lots of fun, very satisfying.
BUT, as a dyed in the wool do it myselfer, I gotta say I have gotten SO MUCH enjoyment and learned SO MUCH over the last dozen years or so by starting with little squirts and raising them. My comfort level began at about 2.5" juvies and I eventually worked my way back to 0.5" fry. I had a ball and, the littler the more fun, as it turned out. Most of the discus I killed were in the first year or two and I am glad I learned on small [cheaper] discus instead of the outlay of hundreds of dollars for adults--there is always a learning curve with a complicated fish like these.

So IF you are of a mind to grow out babies and learn what there is to learn from that part of the hobby, my recommendation is to find your breeder, choose your fish and the size you want to start with--ALWAYS start with solidly good stock--and buy at least 50% more fish than you intend to end up with. You may lose a fish or two, and you will be able to choose the keepers from your batch and sell off the ones you are not attached to when they get to about 3-4". When growing out baby discus, I have found across the board, that the larger the group you begin with, the more gregarious the fish and the better they eat and grow.
Just my 2 cents! Again, I sure can see where you are coming from!
My best regards,
Harriett

Bill63SG
06-04-2012, 04:16 PM
When growing out baby discus, I have found across the board, that the larger the group you begin with, the more gregarious the fish and the better they eat and grow.

My best regards,
HarriettI have only been doing these seriously for about three years,but seemed to get my best fish when I purchased 10-12 and grew them out from there.It might sound the same,but it was about getting rid of the smallest,not keeping the biggest.theres alot to be said for the knowledge gained by growing up fry,but also had a breeder nearby who didnt "seem" to mind all my questions.