PDA

View Full Version : how big can a stunted discus grow up to?

triplecrown333
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
good day discus lovers, i think my juvenile discus is stunted , he is like 2 inches now and was wondering how much bigger can a stunted discus grow up to? is a diet of beefheart and frozen bloodworms adequate? thanks in advance...

Skip
06-04-2012, 10:56 AM
sorry.. too many variables to give you one answer

triplecrown333
06-04-2012, 11:10 AM
thanks for the reply,maybe i should rephrase the question " if stunted juvenile is raised adhering to discus keeping guidelines, would it grow to like four to five inches?

Skip
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
thanks for the reply,maybe i should rephrase the question " if stunted juvenile is raised adhering to discus keeping guidelines, would it grow to like four to five inches?

if it has not reached around 4" at about 4 months of its life.. chances are it won't grow much more.. it probably would get thicker..

but you will just have to find out for yourself..

get up to 10 post and then post a picture

triplecrown333
06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
thanks will do..3rd post ;)

roydooms
06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Just a quick question that has something to do with OP's question...

Would the size of a stunted discus vary depending on the size it got stunted? Let's say if a discus got stunted at 2" compare to one that got stunted at 3"? Sharing the same tank with the same care.

Skip
06-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Just a quick question that has something to do with OP's question...

Would the size of a stunted discus vary depending on the size it got stunted? Let's say if a discus got stunted at 2" compare to one that got stunted at 3"? Sharing the same tank with the same care.

it also comes down to GENETICS>.

BELL SHAPE CURVE..

some people are short.. some are tall..

it just happens.

same thing with fish..

stunted is a VERY BROAD MEANING TERM.. lots of stuff involved.. not really fits a YES/NO answer

roydooms
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
it also comes down to GENETICS>.

BELL SHAPE CURVE..

some people are short.. some are tall..

it just happens.

same thing with fish..

stunted is a VERY BROAD MEANING TERM.. lots of stuff involved.. not really fits a YES/NO answer

Thanks warlock! Always helpful.

dprais1
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
think of it like people. if you deprive an infant of food the first three months of its life, when they grow the fastest, that child will never reach its full height potential. if you deprive a 14 year old of food for three months they may never hit their potential but the impact will be greatly reduced.

Donno
06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
think of it like people. if you deprive an infant of food the first three months of its life, when they grow the fastest, that child will never reach its full height potential. if you deprive a 14 year old of food for three months they may never hit their potential but the impact will be greatly reduced.

That's an interesting analogy. Buy from a good breeder and get good fish, buy from a poor one and get poor fish.

discuspaul
06-04-2012, 06:14 PM
A couple of years ago I had a 3" RSG that didn't grow at all over a period of 7-8 months in my tank - obviously stunted, in my mind.
I then gave it to my daughter, and over the course of the following year in her tank, with good healthy 3 X daily feedings it grew, albeit slowly, to over 6". She still has that fish - it's likely around 3+ years old now, and still going strong - looks great - seemingly a slow grower - genetics.

roydooms
06-04-2012, 11:33 PM
That's an interesting analogy. Buy from a good breeder and get good fish, buy from a poor one and get poor fish.

It still depends on how you care for the discus. Just because you have great discus from a good source doesn't mean they'll grow to their full potential. Just like what warlock said, it depends on many factors. You can get a great discus and still stunt it.