PDA

View Full Version : Aging water setup

applekrate
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I have a spare 55 gal tank available to use as an “aging barrel” so I was going to give aging water a try. It’s set up with air, heater and a running filter with carbon. I called my water co. and they are one of the few who use chlorine only, so I do not have to remove Chloramines. I will Not be using any chemicals in the aging tank other than carbon and the water will be aged for 24 hours. I will run the filter with carbon because I have read that it will remove Chloramine (and chlorine) if it fresh and a slow moving flow.

My questions would be:

Is it true that carbon sufficiently removes Chloramines or is the filter not necessary?
Is 24 hours enough time to remove chlorine from 55 gallons on a tank set up this way?

DonMD
06-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a 200 gallon aging tank with 3 suspended aquarium filters inside. AFter I use the water and refill, I turn the heaters back on and they heat the water. I don't use air or carbon. The only reason I have the aging barrel is to heat the water, and to have a lot of it ready in case I need it. When I pump it into the aquariums I add Prime which removes chlorine and chloramines. So, I can't say anything about air bubblers removing chlorine, or carbon either. But I do believe that aging water stabilizes the pH, also.

applekrate
06-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Thnx Don in Virginia. Ya, I was thinking since I had the spare tank I might as well age the water. I have trouble sometimes with micro bubbles and this would remove the variables in the water from what I've read.