PDA

View Full Version : Dimming Lights?

rocklobster
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
I have a 75G bare bottom tank with no decorations in the tank itself. I'm trying to turn on my light when it's still bright outside so I don't spook the Discus, but I notice that they are alittle bit more skittish when the lights are on. It's a 48" Coralife 60+ watt light (I used it on my planted tank before), and it has a plastic/acrylic guard to prevent any water to splash onto the bulbs. I was wondering if anybody has any clever ideas to help dim the lights in a safe manner.

Lenin
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Unless they're LEDs you do not have an option

roydooms
06-05-2012, 01:34 AM
How about staining parts of the glass where it is on or put a strip of thin wood or plastic underneath, covering part of it to catch some of the light. It will cast shadows but will surely lower the intensity of the light. HTH. Good luck.

dprais1
06-05-2012, 01:43 AM
i used a piece of landscping cloth cut to size and just laid it on the lid below the lights. i have also used plain old masking tape and the blue painters tape directly on the bulb and that worked as well.

PaulD
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
You can go to lowes buy a dimmer but it work only on hologen bulb not florescent. Just follow the instruction and hook up.

rocklobster
06-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I do not have a lid and it's a simple light fixture. Is it a good idea to cut a piece of plastic, and use that as a lid, and possibly use a cloth directly underneath the light fixture? I don't want to cause a fire lol!

Wjmulder
06-09-2012, 06:01 PM
If your fixture is directly on the tank, the plastic (plexiglass?) will bow from the heat....I'm sure you didn't really mean plastic did you?

dprais1
06-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I do not have a lid and it's a simple light fixture. Is it a good idea to cut a piece of plastic, and use that as a lid, and possibly use a cloth directly underneath the light fixture? I don't want to cause a fire lol!

thats what i did and never had a problem. but i never measured the temp of the light nor do i know of the point the fabric would catch fire. im just saying i used it and it worked.

Wjmulder
06-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I did as well, with a t5 fixture and all I had was a small piece of plexiglass to fill a void next to my hob filter.....it bows from the heat.

dprais1
06-09-2012, 07:04 PM
i was refering to the fabric and lights. IME plexiglass will bow regardless and is not a good idea. mine bowed from an unheated reptile tank within weeks.

xxbenjamminxx
06-24-2012, 01:39 AM
I know this is an older thread but placing a layer of your typical window screen will reduce the light by about 40% according to PAR meter. Learned this stuff from have planted tanks. You can get the a metal screen so there would be know chance of fire, but many have reported using the normal (not sure if its nylon or what) window screen kits.

Just another option if your still looking for a cheap easy answer, and can always add more layers to acheive the brightness desired. HTH's

Elliots
06-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Why not raise your light above the tank? If you can't raise it above the tank easily, hang it from the ceiling. I would not get plastic tank tops. Go with glass. Glass is heat resistant at the light's temps and scratch resistant compared to plastic.

Elliots
06-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Glass also will not discolor.