PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Discus in garage

aajd333
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I am setting up a 55 gallon grow out tank in my garage. I like the idea of having the tank in the garage for ease of water changes and not having to worry about spilling water when doing a W/C. I'm looking for people that keep tanks in their garage and what the pros/cons are. Also, how they control temperature fluctuations. Any advice would be appreciated. I live in Southern California so the summer temps get over 100 and winters usually are low 50's. Thanks

Elliots
06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Don't forget besides heaters you may also need coolers if the temperature in you garage gets too high and your garage is not air conditioned.

Skip
06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
john nicholson had no a/c in his fish room.. in texas heat..

discgo
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Good question, aajd. Am looking forward to others' experience with this too. Currently the tank temp in my garage changes only a degree or so over night with outdoor temps going from 87 down to 76. H2O 84 to 82. The W/C's are a breeze. I wonder if an extra heater would cover you during the winter? Maybe ice cubes for the summer.

aajd333
06-04-2012, 10:16 PM
When I had my reef tank I had a controller that I could use to turn a fan and heater on at a set temperature, I could do the same for discus as well. I just wanted to keep the tank as simple as possible. During the winter I can use two heaters.

aajd333
06-04-2012, 10:26 PM
On a side note, my tank is a AGA that is about 6 years old and has not seen water for about 4 years. I have it full of water now testing it out. Should I trust it or just by a new tank. They are fairly inexpensive and it would give me peace of mind.