PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

AnnaW123
06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Ok so i'm a bit scared to post this thread incase i get told off by everyone :C
But here goes! I have a 100 litre community tank with harlequin rasboras, a few guppies and a few corydoras, I recently took on a small red-turq discus who is about 4cm's, called Brain :)
Anyway he's beautifully coloured, but hadn't been growing very much so i bought some Kisuri wormer and wormed him a few days ago, he's MUCH happier eating heaps and swimming around like a crazy little guy, and bobbing at the side of the tank when i come into the room to greet me :)
I'm now feeding him on discus cubes, some bloodworm and granules ...
My question is; how long until i should start seeing a change in his size! I've had him for about 3 months, and he's stayed pretty much as dinky as ever over that time (he was in a small tank with HUNDREDS of discus when i bought him, i knew i couldnt take many but just wanted to save a couple, i took him and one of his brothers who sadly died) :(
I was recommended that worming him might get rid of any parasites that have stopped the poor little guy from growing, i hope he'll be ok! Have grown very attached to Brain :)

Thanks in advance, Anna x

Skip
06-05-2012, 11:03 AM
if you have seen not seen any growth in 3 months.. and has pretty much stayed DINKY>>

then thats about all your will get.. you won't be able to do anything..

AnnaW123
06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Blimey, poor little guy :(
He's happy enough swimming around and eating, i guess he's grown probably about 1cm ... but that's it :/ I was so hoping that he'd grow after he'd been wormed and wasn't living in a tiny tank with so many others :(

Skip
06-05-2012, 11:12 AM
they main growth is in first 4 months..(up to about 4 inches) that is critical stage to keep from stunting them.. thats why they are cheap when small..

but cost alot more when they are 4 inches or more.. cuz its a lot of hardwork to grow them out.

look up oli taylor.. from taylor discus foods

he is sellling his stock and going only with his beefheart foods.. he may still have stock..

ps.. check out his beefheart mix also..

skip

pss. i assume your in UK.. or am i wrong

AnnaW123
06-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Yes i'd read similar information to that, ok i'll look him up - thanks!
Yes I'm in the UK :)

AnnaW123
06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
He has beef heart left, do you think that might help Brain if i bought some? Thanks!

Skip
06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
He has beef heart left, do you think that might help Brain if i bought some? Thanks!

that will help.. but help him be healthy and feed.. but it won't all of sudden make him grow 3 inches

AnnaW123
06-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah of course not, sad as he's such a beautiful colour and would look great full size!
I'm guessing if he stays so small he won't be able to breed or anything in the future ... would he be bullied when i plan to have a large discus only tank in the future?

DiscusDrew
06-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Do your homework before the next go around, there is an awful lot to raising discus, they are not like many other fish that I have found or raised. He probably will not be able to breed, and even if he is able, you will not want him to. I hope you have better luck with your next adventure into discus, they require utmost consistency, unparralled water quality and a heavy water change schedule, and a very balanced and continual diet. That said, those facts I just listed give a little if you raise adults versus buying younger juveniles, so often it can be a good idea when starting with discus to start with older fish. over 4 months old and 4" or so at the very least.