PDA

View Full Version : dying cherry red shrimp

utnana1952
06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
can anyone help. ive been loosing shrimp like crazy for weeks now and had to move what i had left in another tank. ive notice worms crawling on the glass and i had an outbreak of snails from plants that i bought a few weeks back(can kick myself for not washing them). can shrimp be treated? I have not had this problem until last month. its been a nightmare and a heartache. they were in a 40 gallon with moss and all the other kinds of plants that work well with CR's. All thats in there now are my vampires and they seem to be doing well. My husband, Deepflyball, is into discus and im the shrimp person in the family. im hoping someone can help me with my problem and im also hoping that there will be shrimp breeders present at the NADA in Atlanta this month. We are both attending and looking forward to seeing everyone.

nwehrman
06-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Hmmm ... What are your water parameters...

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip
06-05-2012, 11:09 AM
hmmm.. Mrs. Deepflyball..

the worms on glass are planeria.. probably from over feeding..

how often do you feed them..

they are scavengers.. so giving them some food every couple of days is plenty..

i am not sure about mixing them with vampire crabs.. are you sure they are not killing them?

my cherrys are out of control.. if you want more.. i can see what i have and can send you some.. i've never shipped but it would be a good practice.. :)

skip

i have
Cherrys..
Crystal Reds, Crystal Blacks
Tangerine Tigers, Rilis
Cardinals
Yellows and Orange Eyed Black Tigers
and a tank of MYSTERY shrimp :)

lipadj46
06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
If they are cloudy then its a bacterial infection and you can use seachem paraguard. What are your water parameters? Cherries do better in harder water (GH>4, KH>2, pH>6.5) and can take higher temps but prefer 75-78ish but can thrive in most any condition. The small nematodes are not a big deal and the snails should not matter either. High Nitrates, any Nitrites and Ammonia can be issues so you may want to start with a 50% water change then do weekly smaller changes. Once you get them healthy and give them clean water they will breed like cockroaches and become a nuisance lol!

CrazyAngels
06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I actually loose shrimp from too many in my tank. they kill and eat at least 4-6 a day and still feed them 3-4 times a day. These guys are smart they wait for one to molt and go for it.

I've learned to accept it as the circle of life. In the mean time I have hundreds of shrimplets to replace the ones that get eaten.

utnana1952
06-06-2012, 07:08 AM
skip.... i dont have the crabs... i guess i better refrase that statment, i dont have vampire crabs...LOL. they are called vampire shrimp and i dont think they eat them. Yes i have overfed but have since moved them to another tank. Jerry is helping me set up more tanks. i dont have any spikes from the water and the Ph and hardness is the same as what the discus have. its just heart breaking to see these little buggers die. i started feeding 1 small discuss of alge a day and it seems to help cut back on waste. thanks for the relply. R U going to Atlanta?

lipadj46
06-06-2012, 07:17 AM
you don't need to feed them every day

Skip
06-06-2012, 08:31 AM
yes.. i am going to atlanta..

and yes.. i agree with lipad.. you can cut back the feedings to every few days..

Elliots
06-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Warlock, I've never had planaria worms in a fish tank. Wouldn't catfish or other fish eat them?

Skip
06-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Warlock, I've never had planaria worms in a fish tank. Wouldn't catfish or other fish eat them?

its from over feeding.. thats when you see them.. where there is lots of food left over.. tiny squiggly things

ericatdallas
06-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I put some BNPs into my shrimp tank and planaria is gone. I'm not sure if the BNPs eat the shrimp but the population is large enough that I haven't cared. This was in my fire red tank which I know I did overfeed because I started with so few of them.

I also agree that reducing feeding might help.

I had a mysterious massive die-off a few months back. I still don't know what caused it. I sterilized the tank and started over with the survivors after quarantining them in a 20G and traded for some additional shrimp and let nature take it's course. The tank is now covered with hundreds of shrimp (in a 40G dedicated shrimp tank).

Due to the fact that it occurred after I adjusted my hot water heater for winter, I'm thinking it might be copper leeching (apparently this is a controversial cause) from pipes. I started aging my water (so cold water only) and feeding my shrimp tank from water storage barrel and that seem to do the trick since I can't figure out what else caused it.

Of course, since I was changing water direct from tap, it could have been chlorine too (but I had been doing that with dechlorinator for a couple of months prior to the mass die-off). But the water company may have switch to higher chlorine concentrations or maybe to chloramine without my knowledge (Discus were fine throughout using normal routine).

DiscusOnly
06-08-2012, 01:21 PM
I am not attending NADA but when you have another tank set up, I am more than happy to send you a dozen of CRS to restart. All I ask is that you pay for the shipping. I've sent CRS to another member here and I think I got him hook on shrimp now..

What's the temp on your CRS tank?

Supatank
10-25-2012, 03:44 AM
if you think water is the cause then you might want to try prime or some other conditioner