PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Tetra Safe Start,i was wondering if it worked,thanks

aquaworks1
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with Tetra Safe Start?And if it worked.

jimg
06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with Tetra Safe Start?And if it worked.I use it but I would say only 70% of the time it works. check the date get the freshest one. inland empire discus I think I saw he has new type that sounds good plus he is very good to deal with. or Dr Timms one and only is pretty much the same as safe start.

lipadj46
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
IME tetra safe start is the only one that works well although I used niteout for my latest tank as TSS was sold out and it worked but I had to add 2 bottles. I've used TSS on 5 occasions and it worked each time. Don't change water and make sure there is an ammonia source.

jimg
06-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Don't change water and make sure there is an ammonia source. +1

I also add some substrate to the bottom to get as much surface area as possible for the bacteria colonies to multiply. you may get a little rise in ammonia or nitrites, but they should be low enough not to effect the fish until it cycles, usually a week.

aquaworks1
06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the good information,I'm gonna use it to start my new Tank.

Trier20
06-05-2012, 10:23 PM
That's what I use to start most of my tanks. Nutrafin "cycle" works well too.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3zdxpt
-Brandon

Elliots
06-06-2012, 05:25 AM
So if I try TSS should add a little ammonia to my tank or should I get some inexpensive future tank mates? Certainly, I'll still wait for Discus. Question, using TSS cycles my tank immediately if I am a little lucky or does it accelerate the cycling?

lipadj46
06-06-2012, 07:15 AM
So if I try TSS should add a little ammonia to my tank or should I get some inexpensive future tank mates? Certainly, I'll still wait for Discus. Question, using TSS cycles my tank immediately if I am a little lucky or does it accelerate the cycling?

Use ammonia, shoot for 2ish ppm, when the ammonia goes to .25ppm bump it back up. It should take about max 2 weeks to fully cycle.

Elliots
06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks Lipdj, I had not thought of trying anything other than old filter media from my LFS. If I can't get media I'll try TSS. You mean that I should try for about 2ish ppm and when it hits .25 ppm bump the ammonia back to 2ish ppm until the nitrates and nitrites reslove I hope that is what you mean as I am unsure.

lipadj46
06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Lipdj, I had not thought of trying anything other than old filter media from my LFS. If I can't get media I'll try TSS. You mean that I should try for about 2ish ppm and when it hits .25 ppm bump the ammonia back to 2ish ppm until the nitrates and nitrites reslove I hope that is what you mean as I am unsure.

yeah that's how I do it. The nitrites happen fast and go away fast (4 days ish) but then I like to have the ammonia go from 2ppm to 0.25 in 24 hours then I consider it cycled, that takes another week or so. You can lightly stock with fish and it would be fine from day 1 but that is risky to me.

DerekFF
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Do a search on this website and youll find discussions about it. Ive had great success.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Elliots
06-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks! I'll try TSS. I am an old guy, I remember when I was young you didn't cycle the tank because no one knew about cycling. I am not afraid to put some fish in much sooner than probably anyone else on this site. However, no Discus until the tank and plants are ready.

Elliots
06-22-2012, 08:13 AM
I read somewhere that when you use TSS you can or should add fish to your tank in a ratio of one inch to 15 gallons. I think that was on a TSS bottle. I'll check a bottle this weekend. My TSS is coming fron Kensfish. Adding fish sounds good to me. I'll try some tetras and/or corys. What about plants, when can you put them in? I would guess right away but I would rather know than guess. I'll try to search more on this site, so far nothing either way.

jimg
06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I read somewhere that when you use TSS you can or should add fish to your tank in a ratio of one inch to 15 gallons. I think that was on a TSS bottle. I'll check a bottle this weekend. My TSS is coming fron Kensfish. Adding fish sounds good to me. I'll try some tetras and/or corys. What about plants, when can you put them in? I would guess right away but I would rather know than guess. I'll try to search more on this site, so far nothing either way.

I would wait on plants until you get some nitrates and the tank becomes established, few months.you may be able to do it sooner depending on your water and use of ferts. I wait until the tank is established, otherwise I have to combat algae.
adding other fish you will need to qt. If I have time I use ammonia if no time tss the same time fish are added. be prepared though some bottles do nothing you may have to go get another!

Elliots
06-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Jim, thanks for the tip about extra bottles of TSS. I will keep enough to retreat my entire tank in reserve. I will be using pool filter sand and I was going to consider putting ferts in the water column but definitely fert tabs in the sand by the plants.
I will try to contact the Tetra Company, maybe they we also give advice about plants. Once again I'll start small 15" of fish in my 150g and slowly add additional fish so as to not overload the BB. I am hoping for Discus in 60-90 days, I'll see how things go. I'll probably start slow with plants also.

lipadj46
06-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Jim, thanks for the tip about extra bottles of TSS. I will keep enough to retreat my entire tank in reserve. I will be using pool filter sand and I was going to consider putting ferts in the water column but definitely fert tabs in the sand by the plants.
I will try to contact the Tetra Company, maybe they we also give advice about plants. Once again I'll start small 15" of fish in my 150g and slowly add additional fish so as to not overload the BB. I am hoping for Discus in 60-90 days, I'll see how things go. I'll probably start slow with plants also.

Plants are fine but they will out compete the bacteria for ammonia

jimg
06-24-2012, 08:07 AM
if you want to start plants, it is best to start with a lot of fast growing plants then thin out as the tank ages. but wait until tank is established first.

Elliots
06-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks Jim, I like rooted plants like sword plants, apogenetons (Spelling?) and other similar types. I was going to start with them and grow them out to fill the tank spaces. Maybe 1/2 my tank will be unplanted. I still have not decided about CO2.

jimg
06-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks Jim, I like rooted plants like sword plants, apogenetons (Spelling?) and other similar types. I was going to start with them and grow them out to fill the tank spaces. Maybe 1/2 my tank will be unplanted. I still have not decided about CO2.They should be fine without co2. if you go with co2 you need good lighting and heavier ferts. another idea I used is tying plants to driftwood, it gets them closer to the light,you can move the wood to clean and many types need no ferts they survive from the waste from the fish and food. look at some anubias.

Elliots
06-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Jim, I like the look of plants on driftwood but I do not like the look of anubias. I will probably try to attach a different plant, like a sword plant, to driftwood. I will attach it to the drift wood with rubber bands. I have not read on the Planted Tank website yet because I'm too busy with SD. It looks like next weekend I'll fill my tank. I still have to buy an Eheim and then install my 3D background.