PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons. Anyone keep Corydoras with there Discus Fish.

dragonboy69
06-06-2012, 06:36 AM
I am slowly stocking up my aquarium. I have 18 Bristlenose 1 adult male 2 adult females and 15 juveniles sex unknown yet. They will be cleaning the algae in the tank. I got today 9 Corydoras to clean the food that will be eating the food from the bottom which will be left over from the Discus and Neons which I'll be getting soon. The reason being is they are more sensitive to water etc. So my question is are the Corydoras recommended to keep together with Discus fish and Neons. Anyone one has any pros and cons about keeping these fish together.

zchauvin
06-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Those 18 plecos will give you a lovely amount of sh*t to clean. The cories are no problem at long as you get juli or something. A few species rather cooler water. No real cons other than more crap to clean. You could do the same as all those fish with a 2x a week siphoning and a paper towel on the glass.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Skip
06-06-2012, 08:28 AM
+1 to my esteemed colleague..

you may not be getting as clean a tank as you want.. all those other fish will produce waste also..

neons will probably disappear as discus snacks..

PAR23
06-06-2012, 08:57 AM
LOL....you will need a cleaning crew to clean up after your cleaning crew.

Depending on the size of your tank, you will probably only need a few plecos and cories to do the job.

Northwoods Discus
06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
You will want to get cardinal tetras rather than neons. Cardinals can take the increased temps of a discus tank. You may loose an occasional cardinal as a snack to the discus. I kept cardinal with my discus and had no issues. Get them larger if you can. A large group of cardinal tetras is a beautiful site in a community tank. 18 plecos seems like more than you would need. How large is your tank. The cories can be helpful for getting small bits of food in areas where it is difficult for the discus to reach. As mentioned clean up crew fish add to the total bioload of the tank. Good luck and enjoy your tank.

Elliots
06-06-2012, 09:18 AM
There are posts on this site that say Neons do not do so well at Discus temperatures. You might want to try Cardinals. Hopefully the Cardinals will be too big for the Discus' mouths, if not, good luck!

dragonboy69
06-06-2012, 09:20 AM
My tank is a 4 feet tank. 120cm long 35 wide and 55cm high. Filtration is 2 x 4 stage 1500 litres an hour external canister filter. I will slowly reduce my BN to 2 males 4 females possibly 6 females at the most.

Northwoods Discus
06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
So that is a 75 gal thereabouts. I have found the older adult BN plecos do not eat much algae. Keep the young ones in the tank and remove or sell the adults.

Skip
06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
My tank is a 4 feet tank. 120cm long 35 wide and 55cm high. Filtration is 2 x 4 stage 1500 litres an hour external canister filter. I will slowly reduce my BN to 2 males 4 females possibly 6 females at the most.

for americans..

that is a 60 gallon tank.. 3.9' x 1.1' x 1.8'

dragonboy69
06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
for americans..

that is a 60 gallon tank.. 3.9' x 1.1' x 1.8' Sorry I'm from Down Under I don't no gallons.

Skip
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Sorry I'm from Down Under I don't no gallons.

i know..
but figured it would help some people that were asking about your tank size to help in their thoughts

mmorris
06-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Don't assume the plecos will just eat the algae. You will have to feed them as well. Cories are great tankmates but there are only a few varieties that thrive with discus temps.

ExReefer
06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I am slowly stocking up my aquarium. I have 18 Bristlenose 1 adult male 2 adult females and 15 juveniles sex unknown yet. They will be cleaning the algae in the tank. I got today 9 Corydoras to clean the food that will be eating the food from the bottom which will be left over from the Discus and Neons which I'll be getting soon. The reason being is they are more sensitive to water etc. So my question is are the Corydoras recommended to keep together with Discus fish and Neons. Anyone one has any pros and cons about keeping these fish together.

Wow! You really like bristlenose. Not that you asked, but I would get rid of all but one or two of those plecos. As others were saying, they produce a ton of waste. If you keep any kind of wood in the tank, they will spend all their time eating the wood and crapping it out. The cory cats are fine to keep with discus. No real cons to keeping cories with discus. Plecos are poop machines.

Elliots
06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Dear Martha, I am sorry to ask but which Cories thrive with Discus besides Sterbai that are usually available?

DerekFF
06-06-2012, 11:40 AM
ive kept pandas, adolfo, bronze, orange lazers all in 82 degree tanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

korbi_doc
06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Julies did great for me....I loved'm, will be lookin' for more soon....JMO

Dottie

zchauvin
06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
+1 to my esteemed colleague..

you may not be getting as clean a tank as you want.. all those other fish will produce waste also..

neons will probably disappear as discus snacks..

Thank you warlock :)
Haha
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Wjmulder
06-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Dear Martha, I am sorry to ask but which Cories thrive with Discus besides Sterbai that are usually available?

Albino Cory's and 85 degrees.....no problems

BABYJIZAY
06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I've had many types of cories with no problems in 86 degree water. Sterbaii, panda, bronze, emerald, albino... they have even bred in my tank.

I have a bristlenose as well, and in my 125 gallon tank the amount of waste from that one guy in one day is very aggravating. 18 bristlenoses seems insane and very bad for the rest of the fish. But to answer your question, most any cory will do and should thrive.

Moon
06-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Just beware that not all corydoras can handle the heat. I had a bunch of Napoensis in my wild discus tank. All died one by one.

dragonboy69
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
The Corydoras I have are 3 of each Bronze,Albino,Peppered are these alright with Discus temperatures. So I will get Cardinals instead of Neons. With the Bristlenose I do feed them Algae tablets,Broccoli,Zucchini,Driftwood. I'm going to cut down my Bristlenose to 6 adults. I want this setup because of looking at say 4 adult Discus in my tank. I would like to see a few different fish types. Someone over here in Australia suggested that I get Blue Rams. Anyone no of them or have them with there Discus. Do you have pros or cons with these fish.

dragonboy69
06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
My Filtration consists of 2 x 1500 litres an hour or in your terms 2 x 396 gallons per hour of filtration. It is an Orca 4 stage external canister filter. I will be changeing 2 x 25% water change per week. Temperature will be 27 degree celsius or 80.6 degree fahrenheit. Any other fish you suggest that will look fine and be compatible for my tank setup or condition.

mmorris
06-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Albino sterbais are available sometimes on Aquabid. Adolfois are scarce as hen's teeth. Duplicareus are often sold as adolfois because they look very similar but I understand their temp range doesn't extend to the 80s. There's supposed to be another cory but I can't think of the name. It isn't one of the common ones. I did not find it at all attractive so I paid no attention to it. Lots of cories will live quite some time in discus temps, but I suspect they burn out quicker.